Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

External hard drive not powering up

This is a discussion on External hard drive not powering up within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's a seagate 2tb 3.5'' USB 3 external hdd. I'd guess it's 3 years old, I'll check through my receipts.

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

It's a seagate 2tb 3.5'' USB 3 external hdd. I'd guess it's 3 years old, I'll check through my receipts.
When I plug in the power cable the drive does nothing and the light doesn't come on any more, except sometimes it blinks as I remove or insert the power cable.
It had been regularly mounting and unmounting the couple of weeks before it stopped working.. if I moved the usb cable it would unmount.. by the time a new usb cable arrived it had stopped powering up.

I'm looking out for a replacement drive atm, but is there anything I can do to salvage the data from this one?
I have some stuff backed up on it that I don't have other copies of, I'd hate to lose it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Sometimes the wires, jacks and/or internal electronics of an external enclosure will fail but the hard drive itself is perfectly fine. And often, with many, it is possible to remove the hard drive itself from the external enclosure and then either attach it directly to your computer internally (to the motherboard and power supply like a normal hard drive hookup), or use a ~$15 USB adapter to connect it to a USB port on your computer.

What is the make and model number of your external drive?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

It's a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk adapter USB 3.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&...eeAgent+GoFlex
Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks I got it opened last night and the drive itself still works :)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Thumbs Up

Excellent news!

Might want to get it backed up while you can.
Closed Thread