Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External Hard Drive is Damaged / Corrupt

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sobeit 
#1 ·
I think my external hard drive is corrupt or else damaged. When I connect it to my laptop or media player it does not get recognised.
Power is going to the hard drive though because the little blue light turns on when it is connected.
It was working fine until I downloaded a file and now I think it may be corrupt. When it is connected to my laptop or media player it does make a noise like it is running but only for a couple of seconds and then it stops.

Is there anyway I can recover the data from this external hard drive as I have a LOT of valuable files that I wouldnt be able to replace easily.

PLEASE HELP... I dont know what to do :(

#2 ·
when connected to the laptop, go into disk management and see if it shows there. If it shows and does not have a drive letter assigned to it, try assigning one to it. to go to disk management, right click my computer or computer, click on manage, click on disk management. The drive should show in the right column

go to the manufacturers website, download their drive diagnostic utility and run it. This will tell you whether or not the drive is good.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.