Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External Hard Drive Inaccessible (turned from NTFS to RAW)

13K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  martin.solveig 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was having a hard time connecting my external hard drive to my laptop for a long time. I initially thought it was due to the cord so what I normally do is just move/stretch the cord for the hard drive to work. But just yesterday, I was not able to use the hard drive on any of my computers.

Model: Buffalo HD-PXT320U2/B-AP through USB 2.0

The external hard disk is partitioned into two (2), i.e., the main drive and the utility drive. The drive was already partitioned when I bought it.

The main drive still appears on My Computer but whenever I try to access it, an error message prompts:

I:\ is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

On the other hand, the utility partition still appears on My Computer and I am able to explore the files in it.

Here’s the error message whenever I try to manually perform the disk check on the tools menu:

The disk check could not be performed because Windows cannot access the disk.

I have also visited the Disk Management under Computer Management and found out that the file system indicated in the drive is RAW. What does this mean? Please refer to attached screenshot:

I have also tried the following:
1) I made sure that the cables are connected properly – did not work
2) Unplugged, restarted, used different cable, used different USB ports – did not work
3) Tried connecting it to other computers – did not work
4) Started the computer on safe mode and performed check disk on safe mode (using CHKDSK I: /F/R – check disk is stuck on step 2 of 3 after 10 hours.

Is there any way I can recover the files? What are my options? I BADLY need to recover the files in this hard disk.

Thank you so much for your time. Hope I can hear from you guys soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.