Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

External Hard Drive Formatting Issues (XP)

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive Formatting Issues (XP) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, first post-this forums a great help been going through many many posts to find a solution for my problem,

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #1

Hey, first post-this forums a great help been going through many many posts to find a solution for my problem, but as last resort I signed up and posted this :D

Ok the problem:
I bought a new WD 80GB External Hard Drive to back my music up (model: WD800B008). Yesterday I stayed up until 2am trying to figure out why it was being read as "unknown device" but fixed that by buying a PCI USB Card. Now when I plug it in it comes up correctly as USB Mass Storage Device.

The problems comes from trying to access it, it wasn't pre-formatted like I thought so I created a partition using mycomputer>manage>disk management. It now shows up in My Computer and when I try to open it, it says the drive needs to be formatted.

I formatted it through Disk Management twice and everytime at 100% it says "Drive Format Unsuccessfull". I downloaded partition managers and formatted it through Paragons Manager and it said there was an error. I got SwissKnifev3 and it said Read/Write error when I try to format it through the program.

I have also tried to format it through FDISK, my windows cd, my linux command prompt and still nothing.

I assumed this was caused by a bad HD in general, should I return it and get it replaced? Should I wait to test it on my computer at work? Any suggestions on fixing it or figuring out how to format it?

extra notes:
running P4 1.6ghz, SiS chipset, 256ram, ALi USB 2.0 PCI Card
Device Manager name for HD: USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE (NO EXCLAMATION)
In Disk Manager the status is HEALTHY, and the "device is running properly" plus the correct size shows up in GB.
*Creating and deleting partitions and drive labels (currently H:) is not an issue, purely the formatting failing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #2

Id like to add that Ive been through these steps as well

the IRQ is correctly stacked

uninstalling the USB hosts/hubs and restarting DOES NOT work, ive tried many many times

turning the computer off for 30min (including the switch at the back) did nothing

i currently have 11 different USB jacks and ive tried nearly all of them, and im pretty sure usb isnt the issue anymore
Old 07-13-2005, 03:36 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Wink

Welcome to TSF:

I think by now you have run sooooo many partitions programs and things on that drive that I doubt you could load anything to it.

step #1 / run a drive eraser on the drive and get it back to a new "clean" drive
https://dban.sourceforge.net/

Step # 2 / download and run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the drive

step # 3 / if diag utility passes / use FDISK to partition and set partition active (win ME boot disk version ~ it has support for drives larger than 64Gig) bootdisk.com

Step#4 - install OS after it has been partitioned / let WIN XP do the formatting / my opinion is Win XP is difficult to follow when trying to make partitions and setting them active for first time use / thats why I am a big beliver in FDISK - not other 3rd party progs though because many of them strip you of the option for future FDISK use.

let us know how you progress

regards

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #4

thanks for the reply

I downloaded dban to do as you suggested but I realized I dont have any floppy disks. So I had to go back to the computer store anyway so I just brought back the HD and got it replace with a new one. Right now it seems to be working correctly and is at 45% formatting so if I have any problems I'll update it here.

peace
LiFTEDMedia
Internet Solutions
Old 07-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #5

I got the same error from Disk Management when formatting the NEW hard drive, I have to go to work but I'll pick up a floppy disk and run the Wester Digital diagnosis program when I get home.

I could still use some suggestions though
Does anyone know the cause of a brand new hard drive not being able to format through windows? (not fdisk)
Old 07-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Confused

Hmmm / odd issue here

I would suggest looking into your USB controller / have the drivers been upgraded to 2.0 ?????

I would try updating your mobo bios

which service pack do you have installed ????

if all else fails / I would try partioning your drive in half / then format and see what happens / if that goes well / we can then begin to narrow your problem down /

regards

joe

P.S. Dban also has a CD version ?????

ALSO*** what are the details of your OS disk ???? Our hardware manger (DAI) from another post just reminded me of another potential problem / is your OS an OEM version or retail version / OEM versions are soemtimes locked to a hard drive & mobo ID numbers ~ when the OS tries to load to devices that dont match the installation fails !! ??
Old 07-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
Citizen of the world

You might consider removing the drive and connecting it to your system on a secondary IDE channel. See if you can beat it into submission with a direct connection, then put it into the USB case.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #8

alright I just came back from work, I do web design so our computers are top of the line-so I figure if the HD works it would work there.

To my surprise it worked perfectly, the intel usb found the device..one difference I noticed then from at home is that the balloon pop-up when the device was installed by windows was "Western Digital Disk Drive", where my computer at home would just say "Disk Drive".

I formatted the drive through disk manager and it worked with out any problems. I transfered files, made a folder and deleted files and everything worked fine.

BUT then I got home and plugged it in and the drive came up as the old M: drive I had initlized earlier before work. When I formatted it at work I called it F: drive, but now I realized my F: drive at home is being used by my CDRW.

the M: drive is still coming up in my computer but when I double click it its empty, but the drive info says at least 200mb is used which is exactly what I transfered onto it at work.

At work I have basically the same set up

Work Computer:
-Windows XP SP2 PRO
-Intel Usb Controller
-its about 6-7 months old (bios cant be that out of date)
-factory built
-2 hard drives, one 60gb other is 4.4gb

Home Computer
-Windows XP SP2 PRO (with all updates, bought retail)
-ALi Usb Controller on a PCi Card w/ 5 ports
-SiS motherboard usb controller w/ 4 ports
-QDI Group motherboard (rough support from purely asian manufactorer)
-BIOS could be as old as when P4's started coming out, i dont remember flashing it since then.
-Home built
-2 hds, one is 40gb (MAXTOR), and an acient 16gb hd

to "johnwill" I would love to open my enclosure but that would void my warranty and I'll wait it out before doing that. (warranty is also a last option, im impatient :D but also very good with computers)

ALSO I just downloaded a WD program that can reformat my usb drive back to "original manufactors fat32", right now its formatted as NTFS
The WD Diagnosis program doesnt read my hard drive as working so I cant diagnosis it.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #9

wow I found the solution, you should put this up in a faq somewhere

The real problem was my computer was configured wrong to allow caching to the external hard drive, and I hear this problem is cause with internal ones as well.

I downloaded Cacheman and customized the system cache as "maximized for file sharing"

This fixed the problem of the drive not responding and not properly formatting. I learned this after 6 hours of reading and trying to figure out what motherboard I had to update the bios (my motherboard manufactorer's site was half in japanese lol).

Anyway there was such a small solution to the problem
Old 07-14-2005, 05:46 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Intrudah

WOW thats a unique glitch ! Nice job finding that one !

regards

joe
Closed Thread