Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External hard drive. Device manager: Unknown device (code 10).

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Deleted090308 
#1 ·
Hi,
I was copying a 5gb folder with 8 files over to a friends external hard drive, a Maxtor Onetouch III 300gb, when I got some problems.
It stopped at 75% (was 65gb free space) and after half an hour it was still at 75% so I cancelled the transfer. Then I got a 'does not respond message' from the explorer window so had to close/cancel it through the task manager. Afterwards I tried using the safely remove device in windows, but it wouldn't let me "stop" it so I turned it off manually. After restarting both the disk and the computer the ext.disk was very slow at autostart and when I clicked on the folder I copied, to try and delete it, explorer froze. Then I got a new 'does not respond' from explorer.

Since the restart after this I cannot even see the device in 'my computer'. Windows detects that a device is connected but nothing happens except for the "safely remove device" icon comes up in the bottom right corner.

In the device manager under USB there is a 'USB mass storage device' entry with a warning (yellow !) on it. Under its option it says that the device cannot start, code 10. When trying to get it to update or chose another driver it does a search and says that it cannot find a better driver then the one installed. (A microsoft one.)

I tried the program in the sticky thread "Have you "lost" a hard drive or partition in your computer?", but it couldn't find the disk. I have also tried connecting the disk to both a laptop with Vista and a pc with XP, but get same problem.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
Can the disk be fixed and working properly again or is it "crashed" forever?
Is there any way of accessing the data on it? And if not can the disk be formatted and used again?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi.

Do you receive the "This Device Cannot Start. (Code 10)" message when connecting it to other computers?
If so, there's something wrong with the drive/enclosure or the cable.
Is it possible to open the enclosure and check the connections or slave the drive inside the computer.
But - if the drive is under warranty I think you should ask for a replacement.

#4 ·
I have tried it on a laptop with Vista and on a PC with XP and got code 10 on both of them. First I was afraid there was important data on it, but since there aren't any I think your last advice seems to be the best idea. The warranty hasn't expired yet so unless there is an easy fix I will just ask for a replacement.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.