Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

external hard drive (160 gigs) went from NTSF to RAW and I want my files back

This is a discussion on external hard drive (160 gigs) went from NTSF to RAW and I want my files back within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Alright, this is a good one: I'm having major external hard drive problems right now. Last night my computer

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM   #1

Hi,
Alright, this is a good one: I'm having major external hard drive problems right now. Last night my computer started slowing down immensely so I restarted it. I figured it had something to do with having just installed photoshopCS2 so I restored my computer to before I installed it. When I opened My Computer, it took about three minutes for everything inside the folder to load; I came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with my F: drive (my external harddrive). After messing around with it and finally getting the right-click menu to open and getting into its Properties, it showed that the system was now a RAW file system instead of NTFS like it was supposed to be. I went into researching this a little and found very little to work with. Many of the threads I read that seemed to have similar problems suggested that I run GeDataBack, which I'm running right now. When I checked Microsoft's site, it spewed something about 48-bit LBS and how harddrives larger than 127 gigs(?) couldn't be partitioned unless 48-bit LBS was enabled. I went into my BIOS and looked to see if there was anything wrong with it and there wasn't. I followed the instructions that the Microsoft site gave (search for 'atapi.sys', right-click>properties, check to see which version is running [latest version is running] and update if necessary by d/l-ing a hotfix file made available on the Microsoft site). None of this was helping me.

So to summarize: I turned my computer off with my external harddrive (160 gigs by the way) as an NTFS format only to turn it back on as RAW. I can't afford to reformat the drive because I have very important files on it. I just right-clicked My Computers and went into Manage to see what was up and nothing, it still says that it's in RAW format. Also, I should note that something similar had happened to be a few weeks ago only it was less extreme and I was able to fix it by scanning the drive and having it automatically fix everything (right-click F:, tools>scan disk I think?) but when I do this now, the scan disk program closes on me. If anyone can offer me some help I'd be much much obliged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
What happens when you run GetDataBack ?????

Also if GDB doesnt work try

https://www.ptdd.com/

let us know how you progress

regards

joe
Old 07-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #3

Joe,

I tried both GetBackData NTFS and FAT because when NTFS shut itself down after scanning for twelve hours, I assumed that my hd was not NTFS as I had thought but instead FAT so I tried scanning it with GetBackData FAT but the exact same thing happened -the program would quit before the scanning was done. Through the periodic check-ups that I was doing during the scanning, I noticed that there were alot of reading LBA errors? with the Data found on XXXXXX scattered throughout the scanning window every now and then.
I'm running the Partition Table Doctor right now and having it do a surface scan and there's about 21 hours lelft before the entire thing'll be done, but so far there are alot of "Verify Sector errors" popping up. Also, Partition Table Doctor lists the hd as being FAT, which is strange because GetBackData lists it as being RAW. Partition Table Docot also lists the hd as being inactive, but I don't really know what that means. Is there anything more I can do while the hd is being scanned?

Thanks,
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Citizen of the world

Personally, I'd remove it from the USB case and install it as a secondary drive, you'll have better luck with most disk utilities that way.
Closed Thread