Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

External drive storage space

This is a discussion on External drive storage space within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A couple of years ago I bought a 1 TB WD Passport external hard drive. When I got it home

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

A couple of years ago I bought a 1 TB WD Passport external hard drive. When I got it home and plugged it in it only showed a total of 32 GB of space. I was busy and frustrated and never tried to figure out what the problem was.

Now I have a new laptop and I'd like to get this stupid drive working so I can backup this thing properly. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is and how could I fix it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Where did you buy this 1TB drive from? Was it brand new? If so, you could have taken it back and exchanged it, now it is too late.
Did you buy it used? You might have been swindled.
With the drive plugged in press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. In the lower pane was does it show for this drive? Is there Unallocated Space to the Right of the 32 GB partition?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, I'm trying to help myself and I just found some instructions that say I can fix this in Disk Management but when I get there there is no option such as Delete Partition. When I right click on the drive I just have a Help option.

I'm also a little confused about the drives listed in Disk Mgmnt. With a blue bar showing partitions I have
Disk 0 partition 1 EFI System Partition 260 MB
Windows C: 914.86 GB NTFS
Windows RE tools 980 MB NTFS
RECOVERY D: 15.42 GB NTFS (this is the External WD drive)

Then showing as Unallocated I have
DISK 1 Basic 931.36 GB

When I right click on the partitions in the Disk 0 area I have not options, just Help which is really not helpful at all.

When I right click on this unallocated Disk 1 I can select New Simple Volume but I'm not sure what this is so I'm very hesitant to do this. As I said this is a brand new laptop and I don't want to screw it up.

I also downloaded Acronis True Image WD Edition from the WD website. It says it will have directions on how to format the external drive as exFAT but once installed I don't see anything about formatting at all. My options are Clone Disk - Add New Disk - Rescue Media Builder - Acronis Universal Restore.

I'm more confused than before but I refuse to give up. This stupid drive wasn't cheap and I need a reliable backup. I've got to get it working! Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi Spunk Funk

It was brand new when I bought it.

As you can see by my recent post above the unallocated space is not to the right of the RECOVER D: partition but it's listed below as Disk 1. The RECOVERY D:, Windows C:, Windows tools, and EFI System Partition are all together on a line as Disk 0.

AAGGGHHHHH!!
Old 09-08-2018, 04:34 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiboo View Post
Hi Spunk Funk

It was brand new when I bought it.

As you can see by my recent post above the unallocated space is not to the right of the RECOVER D: partition but it's listed below as Disk 1. The RECOVERY D:, Windows C:, Windows tools, and EFI System Partition are all together on a line as Disk 0.

AAGGGHHHHH!!
It seems the external disk does not yet have a partition and has not been formatted yet. Leave Disk 0 alone. Disk 0 is your laptop's internal disk, on which Windows is installed. Do not touch ANY of the partitions on Disk 0. Disk 1 should be the external drive. Right-click on the unallocated space (black) and select simple volume to create a new partition on the unallocated space. Visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...disk-partition for more details.
Amiboo likes this.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:47 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

What he said ^

Closed Thread