Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

External Drive Copy and Paste - not same size

This is a discussion on External Drive Copy and Paste - not same size within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, New drive Seagate 8tb Copying from Old WD 4tb I copied and pasted thousands of files from my old

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

New drive Seagate 8tb
Copying from Old WD 4tb

I copied and pasted thousands of files from my old to new external drive. But when I compared (right click properties) the folders they show a different size. The new one has lesser size and folders as if it didn’t copy completely.

I keep copying that particular folder, but it still shows less. It seems like it happens to large music folders...

When I go deeper into the folders, they seem to match up when i compare each drive .

I just dorm know why it shows lesser size. I just smart to make sure my files are there. It’s hard to do it one by one and compare...

I hope I don’t sound confusing. I just want my files to be copied completely.

Should I copy that folders to drive C desktop first instead of (old) external drive to external drive (new)?

Hope someone can help me out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

I learned long ago NOT to use MS copy/paste with more than a few files. It will also skip corrupted files.
Use this to copy or move files.
Roadkil.Net - Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier Program Download
Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Is there a tutorial? Is this easy from drive to drive? I’m not techy? What do you also mean by corrupt files being skipped by Microsoft ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In File Explorer, go to the View tab and put a check in Hidden Files to View them. When you copy, be sure to copy the hidden files as well.
External HDD's have a Recycle Bin, this is a hidden file. It is linked to the Recycle Bin on the C: drive. Any files that are deleted from the External drive will end up in this hidden Recycle Bin If you disconnect the External drive before Emptying the Recycle Bin on the C: drive, then the Recycle Bin on the External will not be empty.
If you do a Disk Cleanup on this drive it should remove any Recycle Bin items. Also, if you added a Paging File (Virtual Memory) to your External HDD this would also cause a discrepancy in size.
You can download Space Sniffer to see which files are taking up more space or that are missing.