Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ext. HD Data recovery

986 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
A few months back I sought help with my External Hard Drive ( http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/problem-with-iomega-1tb-external-hard-drive-607977.html )

Well I still haven't figured out what to do... The drive still doesn't work. While running testdisk, it said there were read errors, and other suggested options never worked. So I think my only option is to try and recover the data with Data recovery software...

What is a good recovery software??

Do I format the drive then use the recovery software?

Can anyone walk me through this?

#2 ·
Depends on how you value your data. A. If you don't and want to try the DIY route and take the chance of continued stress of the drive with data recovery programs then download r-studio use the demo and scan the drive. I am guessing with read errors you won't get too far as you didn't with test disk

If you indeed value your data send to a Pro for a diagnosis and price quote for recovery.

The heads are most likely bad ie the read errors.

I hope this puts your choices into a better perspective and allow you a chance to make an informed decision

Its always best to just continue in the original thread and not open yet another thread for the exact same issue.

#3 ·
Do I format the drive then use the recovery software?
Format=Erase. So, no you don't want to Format your drive if you want to recover data off of it.
As Networks said, try R-Studio or download this trial version of GetDataBack NTFS let it scan the drive, and it will tell you what it can recover and you decide if it is wort it to pay for it to actually restore your drive. You will need a drive of the same size to recover your files to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.