Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

EVO 850 Frozen - Will Not Secure Erase But Windows Boots and Works

This is a discussion on EVO 850 Frozen - Will Not Secure Erase But Windows Boots and Works within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My SSD is frozen and so I cannot secure erase it. I have a EVO 850 in a Dell Inspiron

Old 05-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

My SSD is frozen and so I cannot secure erase it. I have a EVO 850 in a Dell Inspiron 7568 laptop.

I have done clean installs using Samsung's Magician software often as I have last week, however I forgot to disable the windows update manager to prevent that horrible update that is hobbling people's PCs and I got it and now am suffering from the slowness.

I opened the Magician software and it says that there is an updated version of the software so I upgraded to it and made a new USB boot stick. After I rebooted to the USB stick I got the usual "Drive is frozen, disconnect the cable from the drive for a few seconds then reconnect it and proceed" only this time the drive "keeps" coming back as frozen.

I reverted back to the older version, made another USB boot stick but the problem persist.

What is the problem and what should I do, help me Obewan you are my only hope.
dsftht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Remove the Bottom cover of the Dell Laptop. Remove the SSD. Wait a few seconds and then plug the SSD back in . Put the cover on but don't screw it in. That should release the SSD..Check to see if the Disk is still Frozen.
If it is still Frozen, on a working computer download AOMEI Partition Assistant. If this is a Windows 7 machine, you can remove the SSD and attach it to this Windows 7 Machine using a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure. and Run AOMEI's Secure Erase. If you don't have a Windows 7 Machine Make a bootable Rescue USB Flash drive in AOMEI from the left panel. Put the Flash Drive into the Dell, and boot off of the AOMEI Boot drive and run Secure Erase from there.
After that is complete, boot off of the Windows Installer USB Flash drive, Choose your Language, then Custom Install, Choose the SSD which should be now Unallocated Space, press Next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the install.