Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Eventually will computers never need RAM?

This is a discussion on Eventually will computers never need RAM? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ssds are pretty damn close to being ram(just a few core differences) and they run fast. Ram is used to

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #1

Ssds are pretty damn close to being ram(just a few core differences) and they run fast. Ram is used to hold at a because it's faster than accessing the HDD. Well when ssds are standard and are SUUUPPPPEEERRR fast will ram become obsolete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

At the present time SSD's have nothing that is anywhere near RAM in performance, particularly in write times. The day may come when the same technology is used for disk and RAM but that day is still a long way off. I expect that that technology will be nothing like the current SSD's.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Computer unbelievably slow, will more RAM fix it?
My computer is extremely, extremely slow, for example opening the Windows Calculator can take 30 or more seconds, so just imagine how slow doing actual work is. When I built the computer I intentionally built it with too little RAM to save money to upgrade it later which I still have never done....
aab1 RAM and Power Supply Support 24 07-01-2011 01:07 AM
[SOLVED] RAM upgrade causes failure to boot with ANY RAM
RAM Failure, Lost Cause? Computer: Dell E521 AMD Athlon 64 Nvidia GeForce 6150LE with ATI Radeon 256MB Video card upgrade. Was running Vista with 1GB ram (2x512MB DDR2) and decided to upgrade to 2GB. Got Kingston 2x1GB DDR2-800 after consulting with Crucial. Tried to upgrade and would not...
aweather RAM and Power Supply Support 12 05-23-2011 12:05 AM
Help, Installed new RAM on MSI mother board
I had 1gb of RAM on the motherboard in one slot. I have two slots and installed another. Giving me 2 gb of RAM total. My motherboard specs say i should support 2 gb according to the manual. With 2 gb of RAM (1 old, 1 new), I plugged the computer back in and turned the power switch on. The...
spitfire04 RAM and Power Supply Support 17 04-16-2011 01:08 PM
Weird hardware failure. (Computer randomly reboots/shuts down possible RAM issue)
System: Windows 7 RAM (2 sticks): Corsair DDR2 XMS2 800MHz 2038MB MB: Asus M4A785-M CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 HD: W.D. Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB PSU: Logisys 550w PS550A_BK About a week ago, my computer just randomly went black, it randomly restarted itself, it continued to do so...
SnowBum Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 11 04-06-2011 08:21 PM
[SOLVED] I hate ram.
Okay, so I'm getting rather irritated at my computer and my luck with RAM in general here, I was hoping somebody could enlighten me. Okay, so for christmas I ordered 2 x 1GB sticks of ram and put them into my already 1GB computer (2 x 512) to equal what I was hoping was going to be 3GB ram. For now...
Hudos RAM and Power Supply Support 22 04-01-2011 10:40 AM