Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Elgato Thunderbolt SSD is corrupted and not accessible but is recognised

This is a discussion on Elgato Thunderbolt SSD is corrupted and not accessible but is recognised within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have an iMac and wanted an SSD, but didn't want to open it up to fit one in

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have an iMac and wanted an SSD, but didn't want to open it up to fit one in so instead compromised on an external Thunderbolt SSD from Elgato.

It was working fine for a few months and then I decided to encrypt it with OS X's FileVault feature. This was good until I moved house and had to disconnect my iMac from it's power source which affected the Thunderbolt SSD and corrupted it.

After a few hours I managed to decrypt it using Disk Utility, rescue my data then format the SSD and reinstall OS X. A few days later, it crashed again and became corrupted. I put this down to the encryption placed on the drive corrupting it after losing it's power.

After a few more corruptions, my iMac only recognises the SSD in System Report (see below) but not Disk Utility so I cannot format it or decrypt it completely to hopefully fix it. No Terminal commands can fix it either.

If I put my iMac to sleep and then wake it up, the SSD does appear in the Disk Utility but instantly disconnects - I was able to retrieve the following information about the drive and it's two "partions", as you can see.

Elgato offers a firmware upgrade for the SSD that I thought may fix the issue or at least "reset" the drive, but it doesn't recognise it when it tries to search for it. I only know my iMac does recognise it because it appears under System Report.

Furthermore, Elgato has offered to replace the drive -- but they want me to ship it Germany (I am in the UK) and sensitive data such as bank account information may still be on the drive so this makes me uneasy.

Is there anything I can possibly do to fix this drive? Are there any tools you can recommend that can access my drive to allow me to fix it? I can install Windows 8 on my Mac if a Windows app could help me out.

Thank you for your help,

Steven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread