Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Drive is Not Accessible: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

This is a discussion on Drive is Not Accessible: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My 1TB Seagate Free agent GoFlex has some error in opening the disk. First it asks me to format the

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

My 1TB Seagate Free agent GoFlex has some error in opening the disk.

First it asks me to format the drive before being able to use it. Of course, I won't format it because its full of data. After that cancelling that dialog, an error message will appear saying: "Drive is Not Accessible: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)".

I have 800 GB of files(photos and doc) which is worth able. Kindly help me in retrieving the data.

I dint try "chkdsk G: /f /r" as it would delete some files from bad sector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Files on bad sectors could be corrupted anyway so I wouldn't let that stop you doing an error check, in any case you may be better off doing that anyway since at present you can't access any files on it at all.

It's very unwise to save important data on only one hard drive. It's also unwise to continue using a hard drive if you know it has bad sectors which keep multiplying - a sure sign of imminent failure.

You may want to test the drive with Seagate SeaTools for Windows using the 'Long' test. Click 'Downloads' on this page: SeaTools | Seagate
Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah I agree, I had a similar problem and had to format it in the end.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

CRC errors are caused by bad sectors or because the drive is not communicating with the computer. You can remove the HDD from the Seagate enclosure and attach it via USB Adapter, or put it in another USB Enclosure with a power adapter, as the logic board inside the enclosure may be failing. Then run chkdsk /F on the drive to Check for Errors on the drive.
How To Open Seagate Free-Agent Go Drive 2.5 in - YouTube
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you to all for their comments. I tried to check how many sectors are affected by chkdsk H:, which showed 2 sectors are affected. After which I tried with chkdsk /F, which resolved the problem. And now I can access data and copy to disk.

One more thing is that will the problem affects the disk in future?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Bad Sectors happen as the HDD degrades and it begins to wears out. Yes, more bad sectors will happen eventually. Just Run chkdsk /R on the H: drive every once in a while to extend it's life.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you, I will follow the steps. Still I have warranty for the HDD, do I can ask for a replacement HDD for Data Error reason with the dealer?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes! If you have had the drive for more then 30 days you cannot return it to the store. But you can Return Merchandise Authorization the drive back to Seagate. They will send you a refurbished one in 6-8 weeks after they receive the bad drive.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thank you very much. Will check with the Dealer.
Closed Thread