Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Drive cloning and installing SATA host controller drivers in Windows setup

This is a discussion on Drive cloning and installing SATA host controller drivers in Windows setup within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey again. This is sort of a continuation of my old thread where I was talking with wiseleo about some

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #1

Hey again. This is sort of a continuation of my old thread where I was talking with wiseleo about some problems I was having, but he seems to have been banned and no one who wasn't already familiar with things would want to go through the whole topic just to get the situation. The old topic was mostly about diagnosis, but here I'm talking about specific issues.

Alright, so here's the situation. This computer was made by a friend of mine a few years ago, it's rather old now. I didn't get any of the driver CDs or floppies. I have limited access to other computers right now since my even older backup PC died a while back. Recently, my old hard drive went bust, with a missing or corrupt system file message, and I lost a bunch of data. I'm trying to install my new and never used hard drive, of the same model (WD800JD), so I can copy over the lost data between the hard drives and then restore the old one to working condition with the aid of a previously-made Ghost image.

The problem is that my XP SP2 setup CD claims it can't find my new hard drive ("Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"), although the drive shows up under Primary Channel during bootup (it doesn't appear in the BIOS). Both these hard drives are SATA, and my motherboard doesn't normally support SATA; I use an Adaptec 1205SA SATA host controller to give a port for the SATA data connector, and I use the legacy 4-pin molex slot on the hard drive instead of a SATA power connector. This worked fine for my old hard drive, though like I said, I'm not the one who set it up.

A likely theory is that the SATA host controller drivers need to be installed in order for Windows setup to recognize the hard drive. wiseleo advised me to clone the old hard drive over to the new one and then restore the new one to working condition with that Ghost disc, thereby obtaining all of the old drivers, but before I try that I want to see if I can get the new hard drive working on its own right, just in minimal condition with Windows running and without any drivers installed except absolutely essential ones. If I can do that I can use DriverMax or whatever to copy over the rest of the drivers later on. The reason for this is that the old hard drive uses XP SP1 and I've always wanted to switch over to SP2, but since people have had problems installing SP2 on an existing SP1 setup, I wanted to do it fresh on a new hard drive. This is my chance for that.

I downloaded the drivers from their section in Adaptec's site. They come as a self-extracting .exe file. I've tried several variations of copying these files to floppy (copying the files themselves, copying the 1205sa folder in which they appear, the adaptec folder in which that folder appears, etc.) but no matter what, Windows setup refuses to accept that the floppies have drivers on them; it just says to "insert the disk labeled Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into Drive A:" again.

So I have two questions.

1: Do I need to specially name the floppies or something for them to be recognized?

2: And, more importantly, can I get XP SP2 up and running (in minimal condition) with just these SATA host controller drivers, and possibly with a couple others as well? Then I can copy over the files from the old hard drive, restore the old hard drive with the Ghost image, use DriverMax and copy the rest of the drivers over, and have my SP2 installation.

The alternative is drive cloning, and then I'll be stuck with SP1 on both hard drives.

Thanks for any help. I hope I've stated the problem decently, and that making a new topic was a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

Cool

@seesawl: Short answers: 1:no. 2: yes

First off, is your floppy drive ALSO running off the add-in card? If it is, you might want to switch it to the on-board floppy connector on the motherboard so that it will be seen in the actual MOBO bios before it hands off to the 3rd party card, so you can do the F6 at install to load the 3rd party card drivers. THAT is why the Oh-so-intelligent XP Install cannot see any hard disks. It does not have any good 3rd party SATA controller support.

Second, no, you will not see your hard drives in your BIOS since they are hooked up to the 3rd party card and using THAT card's BIOS. You did say that your mobo has no SATA controllers on board...

If the drive is seen by Ghost, then you really don't need to do an install of XP first to test. That's just a good test to ensure that all things are working with the 3rd party controller

As for your alternative, and the issue of upgrading SP1 to SP2 on XP, it's not that big of a deal. I've done it literally hundreds of times. The important thing is that you have a good copy of the upgrade file. If it keeps blowing up at the same place, then it's corrupt and you need a working copy. Snag it at:
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Also, you didn't tell us what mobo you are using, and I have not read your last post, so I don't have any of that background,but your questions are pretty straightforward, and hopefully my answers are as well.

If the 3rd party card is acting flaky, you might want to see if there is a BIOS update for the card. Just a thought.

HTH!!! I'll be around for the rest of this weekend, so post back if you need to :)
Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #3

Hey, sorry about not specifying the mobo: It's an old Asus A7V8X-X.

The floppy drive is hooked right up the motherboard, no bridge between them, and the floppy drive lights up like it's being accessed during the F6 check, but it doesn't acknowledge the presence of drivers.

When I boot up one of my old Ghost CDs with the new hard drive, Ghost pops up and says that a new hard drive has been detected, and I seem to be able to copy over the image from the CDs to the new hard drive, but I'm not sure if I should; I don't know how complete the Ghost backup was, and if it'll include the SATA drivers and other essential stuff. Then there's the fact that I'm not sure how much I trust my Ghost backups. They're on TDK CDs after all, and they're a few years old.

I don't seem to be having a lot of luck with the floppies (which are Maxell MF2HD, by the way), so after your reassurance on the SP2 upgrade, maybe I will just end up cloning the old hard drive over after all, if the Ghost thing doesn't work out.

A few questions about that:

Does the natural wear and fragmentation a hard drive accumulates get copied over as well when it's cloned?

Does the process involve opening up a second computer, and attaching my old and new hard drives to it? I do have access to other computers, but they aren't mine and I hesitate to mess up someone else's comp accidentally.

wiseleo posted in my other topic about a disc cloning procedure that has to do with a linux boot disc. I've lost the link to his method now since it was in his signature. But he said that you should copy over the old drive to an intermediary drive first, as that's less risky. He recommended a non-MyBook external USB drive. I've heard that they're somewhat unreliable for long-term storage, but this should be fine. Or should I get a third hard drive for the task?

Again, thanks for any answers. Maybe I'll be able to use the Ghost image, but if not, cloning should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #4

Cool

Well I guess what he was talking about was that cloning from disk to disk is certainly FASTER than from CD to disk. I keep my images on an external USB HDD, and I only plug it in when I need to update or restore one. They are nothing unique, just a regular old WD hard drive inside a plastic case that takes IDE to USB.

I do not use Ghost any more. The last time I did was in the late 90s. I think it is so different now, I'd be no help. I'm a big Acronis fan now. Much easier to deal with, IMHO. I also recommend it to my clients since it even has simple "wizards" for the non computer guru types. I just boot from the Acronis rescue disc, browse to the USB drive, choose the image then point it to the drive I want to restore on and let it go. They are all pretty much the same, really, it's just that I didn't like Ghost for some reason way back when, and now I don't even remember why LOL :)

Please, any Ghost Guru please post here about Ghost. Thanks!

If the drivers are in sub directories on the floppy, the F6 may not find them. It's supposed to (I think..) do a recursive for an INF file, but it doesn't always seem to in my experience. I just always make sure I have the files in the root of the floppy.

There is also the chance the floppy is bad. They go bad fast :( Since they are not used, I don't think anybody cares about quality. Same with floppy drives, it seems. Also, if it was made on one machine and being used on another, it may not be able to read it because of tiny differences in head alignment. I have NO IDEA why F6 will not search an Optical drive for a driver. I mean, hey Microsoft, it's the 21st Centry and all... *sigh*

I'm also assuming you can read floppies in that drive normally, so it's hooked up right and all that :) Make sure the cable is not on backwards...

Your other questions...

Hmmm... Several year old image backups on optical media. Hmmm... well, if they were stored properly, they might still be ok. I would strongly advise turning on the "verify" bit. Also, Acronis comes with a little app that does nothing BUT verify the validity of an image backup. I'm going to guess Ghost has too; I just don't know how to do it.

There is no "wear" involved, and yes, the compressed image will be as fragmented as the original disk had it laid out. Now, what it is SUPPOSED to do is eliminate that fragmentation as much as possible when it goes back on. That is actually a function of NTFS, not of the image software. However, it is FAR from prefect, so whenever I re-image, I always run Diskeeper anyway, since it's in my images :)

Built-in Windows Xp defrag is fairly useless, IMHO.

I'm not going to read that other thread because I don't want to turn this into a small novel... :) Yes, you can do cool things with Linux boot dics, but they are certainly not required... No sure why all the hate for the MyBook drives. I thing everybody formats them fully when they buy them anyway, so you don't need that crap that comes loaded.

THIRD hard disk? Um, how complicated do you want to make this? LOL!

Oh, and the old tried-and-true trick of not accidentally screwing up another drive in a machine when you image is to simply UNPLUG the drives that are NOT part of the equation until you are done :) Then it's fairly easy to see which drive is source and which is destination simply by looking at the sizes. I do remember Ghost tells you THAT much even if you boot from the old Floppy DOS version. :)

Sounds like you pretty much have everything you need. If GHOST made the archive and spanned it across multiple CDs, then when you go to restore, it is going to seek the next CD as it goes. Copying it to a HDD will make you ave to tell it where to look for each "disc" of the archive. But, if you don't have like 2 discs, copying it all to a HDD is not going to make it run THAT much faster.

Also, I am assuming the target drive is either new, or so trashed you don't care what happens, so why worry about it so much? :)

You might want to wait for a Ghost Guru to chime in, since I'm not sure what the Gost image verify app is. But you could also look in the help...

Have fun!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

Well, last night I verified the Ghost image and copied it over to the new hard drive, and hey presto, I'm back in working order again. Pretty simple in the end. I did learn a bunch about disc cloning though. Now I have to get about the business of copying the files from my old hard drive over. Let's see how that goes. Thanks for helping me out!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

No problem; glad I could be of assistance!

You still might want to give Acronis a chance. I like it a lot better!

But hey, you could be even worse off and have to use what I have at work, which is old PowerQuest Drive Image 2000!!! You have to drives of the same size in a box and you want to clone, all it shows you are the drives and sizes. It doesn't even order them from the BIOS, or even indicate Master or Slave. I ran into that last week. I have a 60GB drive to clone to another 60GB drive, but I have no way of knowing which drive is which... LOL!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #7

I realize that this thread is old and closed for the most part, but I ran into this same problem with the Adaptec 1205sa controller card on my own system.

I had to rebuild my system from scratch after getting some kind of bug from the internet, and got the same "please insert driver disk" during XP install process. I fixed the problem by switching from a USB floppy to a normal floppy drive connected to the onboard motherboard floppy controller. Not quite sure what the technical difference is to XP setup, but it did the trick and XP installed successfully.

Hope this helps someone else out when dealing with this card... :)
Closed Thread