Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

"Disk Not Formatted" error on internal HDD

This is a discussion on "Disk Not Formatted" error on internal HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've encountered the "Disk Not Formatted" error on an internal HDD that I unfortunately use for storing media that is

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've encountered the "Disk Not Formatted" error on an internal HDD that I unfortunately use for storing media that is valuable to me (every digital photo I've ever taken) as well as important documents that I would be very happy to get back (taxes!). Some of it's backed up. Most of it isn't.

I found this forum via a google search and it looks like it's the right place to be. It's an 80GB Samsung SP0812C SATA drive that had been just fine as a secondary drive for 4 years and then suddenly decided to do this. Running XP SP3.

Anyway, I followed all the steps in the sticky and it went as the post explained it would, only the drive is still not accessible and I continue to get the same format error. I never formatted the drive, so at least that's something.

I haven't actually opened the case yet and pulled the drive/re-inserted it, but I can do that easily enough. Just hoping that there's an easier way to restore the drive.

Not sure if this would even be related, but around the time I noticed this, the add/remove programs list in control panel stopped populating and IE8 stopped loading pages.

Please let me know if I need to post screenshots or if there's any other info I need to provide.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

A corrupt or missing boot sector will cause such kind of problem.

To fix the boot sector, you may refer to https://www.ptdd.com/partition-table-...lp/fixboot.htm

If it still cannot be solved, you have to recover all the data out and then format the partition as the system indicates so that you can enter the partition again.

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywi...-raw-drive.htm
Old 03-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you, joe163.

I guess testdisk is not the right tool for the job?

I did pull the drive out to see if it did any good and it made no difference. Still asks to format the drive whenever I click on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Test disk should also work on this case.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks, raptor_pa

Do you know what steps specifically I need to take using Test Disk?
I followed the directions given in the sticky but it didn't do anything.

I noticed the other forum thread linked in the bottom of the sticky, so I guess I'll try those steps too.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

The test_disk docs also have good information onhow to use the program.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

YESSSSS! Ok, I was able to get to all the files I needed via the copy feature to the C: drive. Thanks to joe163 and raptor_pa for the guidance!

The whole time I had been trying to restore the drive and the files together, but I could never figure out how to do that. Copying everything was pretty easy, and at least I know I didn't lose pictures of my wedding, my kid or my 2009 tax forms. Whew!

So now, I guess just format the drive and use as normal? I am assuming that otherwise the drive is ok, but I am much less inclined to put anything important on it after this.
Closed Thread