Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Disk Boot Failure!

This is a discussion on Disk Boot Failure! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Last week i turned on my PC only to find it unable to boot from my hard drive. Next i

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Last week i turned on my PC only to find it unable to boot from my hard drive. Next i tried to boot from my Windows disc - but still nothing, even when set to boot from CD first, i continued to get the 'Disk Boot Failure' message and could proceed no further.

Now ive taken the hard drive out of my other PC that i don't use, chucked it in this one and everything is all good.

My only questions are:
Is the old hard drive dead (how can i check/know)?
If the old hard drive is not dead, is there a way to recover it, and would it be easier now that i can actually boot from this hard drive?

There is no important information on the old hard drive and i would be happy to just scrub it anyway, for me its just about knowing whether or not it can still be of use.

Both of my hard drives (this one and the ?faulty? one) are Seagate 500GB (SATA).

Not in any rush, as everything is running fine without it anyway, but any help would be great. Thanks.

Powerhouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If they are 7200.11 family of drives, log on to Seagates support site and look for the derial number firmware checker, enter the serial numbers and see if they are susceptible to the firmware bug the 7200.11s had. If they are, the one that is running will need the recommended upgrade immediatley, if the other failed because of this bug, then it will have to go back to seagate to be updated because it probably already bricked. If they are susceptible, you should be in a rush - they can do like the first one did, one day you turn the PC on and you have a brick for a hard drive.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

The old hard drive is a 7200.11, the new is a 7200.12.

Do i need to worry about the 7200.12? When i used the serial number firmware checker it said there was no firmware to download for this serial number.

Does this mean there is no way to get the old hard drive up and running again without sending it back? Is it impossible to format it and set it up as a slave drive? Or do you think it is bricked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Did the old drive serail show as possibly affected? Check the BIOS and see how it is reported, if it is not found, then it would have to go back, or to a pro recovry company. If the model is correct but it reports 0 bytes, then there are some walkthrus the net on how to build the cable to connect to it and the commands to issue from a terminal session to reset it to get the firmware update loaded.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

The serial on the old one wouldnt pull up any results at all for some reason, not even the 'No firmware to download' like the new one. No idea why, but it just stayed blank.

powerhouse.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Best then to contact Seagate support directly, what is the serial number of the drive?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, i guess i will contact Seagate.. The serial number of the drive is 9QM5VHDY.

Thanks, powerhouse.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I just ran teh serial and it said there was a download available, proceed to step 4 - so if the drive still spins at all, get the upgrade...
Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

That was the serial for the old hard drive. Not sure if thats what you meant or not.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Well it does need a firmware update, is that the one that was failing? Mount it as a second drive in the system and see if it is recognized in BIOS correctly.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yea that was the old one. Ill chuck it in 2morrow, and see how it goes.

powerhouse.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

BIOS doesnt recognize it at all.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like it is already bricked, contact Seagate support - if the failure is the firmware they should upgrade it for free and return the drive with data intact. It is fixable at home if you want to build the hardware interface you need to talk to the drive at the terminal level, otherwise it will have to go out to a pro shop - Seagate however would be the ace to start
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Registered Member

Ok, i guess ill contact Seagate and see what they have to say/offer.
Thanks for all the help.

powerhouse.
Closed Thread