Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Dell Laptop SSD upgrade

This is a discussion on Dell Laptop SSD upgrade within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. P.S. Is there a way of identifying what is taking up space on my C: drive? The content I can

Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #21
UK

OS: Win XP Pro/XP Home/98se/Suse Linux 9.1 & Xandros 3 Deluxe

P.S.

Is there a way of identifying what is taking up space on my C: drive?

The content I can see doesn't justify the space used.
petercj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #22
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercj View Post
P.S.

Is there a way of identifying what is taking up space on my C: drive?

The content I can see doesn't justify the space used.
Use https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free to see what's hogging disk space.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #23
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I connected the 120GB SSD which triggered a window to open for backing up, however, when I tried to back up to the external SSD a message stated that the SSD wasn't big enough
The 128GB SSD is not showing up in the Disk Management screenshot you attached.

Quote:
If I could have backed up the c: drive onto the 120GB SSD it would have been ideal for picking out what I then wanted to transfer. Do you think that 120GB should be enough to enable a back-up of the c: drive? After all it is over 20GB larger than the contents of the C: drive.
Yes, the 128GB SSD is big enough to clone drive C, but the SSD is NOT showing up.

Quote:
A few more thoughts I would appreciate your opinions on....

I'm thinking this might be a good time to upgrade to Windows 10, in the hope it will make things more straightforward, which is the first thing I would like your view on?
Windows 10 is the way to go.

Quote:
Also, what do you think of this offer on amazon re W10? Is it legit? Is it too good to be true? Will obtaining windows in such a format complicate changing to a new blank hard drive at the same time? Some guidance on the steps to be taken would be a great help?
No, it won't complicate things. Steps in doing what exactly?

Quote:
I'm thinking that Windows 10 on a disc might be more straightforward?
A usb flash drive is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #24
UK

Thank you for the advice - I have ordered Windows 10 on a USB drive.

This copy of windows 7 is shot - none of the disc tools will work, system restore has been switched off somehow (which has happened before) and the darn thing won't back up. I've been trying to run a repair, but couldn't get that to work either - I didn't get an o/s disc with it.

I'm thinking there is something on this drive that has caused issues and is not showing up, I will use the tool you have recommended to see what might be hiding away - thanks again.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #25
UK

Just tried to clone the c: drive onto the new 1Tb with Macrium, and that failed too.

I have run CHKDSK, which didn't show any errors.

What do think of chromebooks? lol

If I attempt to upgrade with W10, do you think it would resolve any errors with the c: drive copy of windows 7, or should I start afresh with a clean install and build everything up from scratch?

I think I know what you're going to say, but thought it worth asking!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #26
Registered Member

My System

If your Windows 7 is Shot, then it will not upgrade to Windows 10. You can try, but it will probably end in tears.
If Check Desk reports no errors then a clean install would be the fastest and best way to proceed.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #27
UK

Ok - thanks for your advice.

Almost everything I've tried so far hasn't worked, so a square one start makes good sense.

I didn't get any discs with this laptop, so hopefully Belarc and google will allow me to track down what is needed.

I'll make a back-up image on the 120 SSD as soon as it's all up together.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:47 AM   #28
Registered Member

My System

Discs have not been included with computer purchases for decades.
Download the ISO image for Windows 10 Burn the image with the Media Creation Tool on the same page.
Boot off of the USB Flash drive in your Dell Laptop, Take a picture of the sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the Windows 7 Product key, and if it asks for one, type that in.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #29
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Discs have not been included with computer purchases for decades.
And a lot of cars no longer come with a spare wheel! And they call that progress!!!

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #30
Registered Member

Pin

Hi,

Re your question: I look to having the most robust system I can afford and sometimes an upgrade isn't really worth it if you need to upgrade any components to add because the technology is changing so fast. That being said, when I built my husband's PC to use for his photography, I used the best HDD I could find and built it for gaming for speed. He's had if for over 6 years and it's still going strong.

I don't know what you may need to do the upgrade, but here's a reliable Manufacturer's opportunity if you have the right hardware for SATA III to hook up the new Drive - You should probably call Dell and ask them if you can use this: ($109.99 @BHPhotovideo.com - Check it out) And, No, I do not work for them. This may be your best bet for price point and reliability. In Stock - Call: 800.894.9703 / 212.502.6230

"Designed for a variety of computing applications like gaming, HD media playback, creative software, and more, the 1TB Blue 3D NAND SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD from WD is verified for use with a wide range of desktop and laptop computers with a 2.5" / 7mm drive bay for faster system boots, application responses, and transfer speeds. This SSD operates with a lower average active power draw of 60mW and features a storage capacity of up to 1TB, a SATA III 6 Gb/s interface, sequential write speeds of up to 530 MB/s, sequential read speeds of up to 560 MB/s, random writes of up to 84,000 IOPS, and random reads of up to 95,000 IOPS. Also employed is 1.75 million hours MTTF (mean time to failure) and an endurance rating (lifetime writes) of 400 TBW (terabytes written).

With solid-state drive technology, you benefit from load and access times for your files and programs that are faster than a conventional 7200 rpm hard drive. As SSDs have no moving parts, they are also more durable than traditional hard drives and are better protected against damage from drops and bumps. Having no moving parts also means that SSDs receive less wear and tear, as there are no read or write heads for the drive media to come into contact with. SSDs also help to deliver improved battery life and cooler operating temperatures. Protection is provided by a limited 5-year warranty."

Direct link:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BoCCB0QAvD_BwE

Best SSD for gaming 2020: Faster storage for your gaming PC ...
www.pcgamer.com best-ssd-for-gaming

Best SSD for gaming
Addlink S70 512GB. The best SSD for gaming. ...
WD Black SN750 1TB. The best 1TB SSD around. ...
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB. The PCIe 3.0 performance option. ...
Crucial MX500 1TB. A great secondary storage drive. ...
Crucial P1 1TB NVMe. QLC performance, low price, and high capacity. ...
Corsair Force MP600 1TB. The best PCIe 4.0 SSD right now.

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...0/td-p/4471759
‎11-14-2014 07:43 AM
RE: Can you upgrade a Dell Inspiron N5050?

OK, all done and dusted.

1) New keyboard- c$15, new, ebay. There are videos on youtube showing how.

2) 2x4GB RAM (Total :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: from Crucial (DDR3 PC3-12800 (800MHz))- c$65. Again, videos on youtube for those new to this.

3) An i5-2540M to replace the Celeron, using Liquid Ultra for Cooling Block/CPU c$70, used, ebay. Again, videos, some referenced above.

4) I thought of getting an SSD drive but relatively expensive perceived bang/$ given what I use the machine for (light gaming (WoT), work, email, browsing), so decided against and the standard 300GB HDD will have to do with an external drive as needed.

Total $150 and machine greatly improved. I looked around for a new machine but didn't see any improvements in form factor that would justify a $500+ outlay, and this should last a year or so.

Of the Qs navigating through this process (to help others), and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) The i5-2540M is the top processor this machine can handle as shipped. The limit is its cooling ability as these CPUs go to 100 degrees C.

2) Paste- Maxxxem recommended Liquid Pro as best versus Liquid Ultra (thank you and for all your other advice, greatly appreciated), but research suggested Ultra and that's what I used- as new to this process I found very easy to clean off old/apply new.

3) Overclocking. Maxxxem suggested the "i5-2540M Mobile Processor [email protected] Turbo" and this seemed to imply some overclocking (3.3 Turbo from stock 2.6). But the BIOS is locked down (you can't change clock/speed settings for the CPU here) and all I could find as a way 'in' to overclocking was using Intel's SpeedStep where the processor speed ramps up or down according to load/temperature to save on power and avoid overheating when not heavily needed (the BIOS allows this to be enabled/disabled). I got Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility to help with specs and this shows the CPU speeding along @ 3.2GHz (off the 2.6GHz stock) which is a handy # (and puts me #1 in my category on www.hwbot.org where you can post/compare results (admittedly out of only 3 but older machine now)).

I hope this helps others as Maxxxem helped me. If anyone has any pointers on how to overclock (more out of curiosity/interest than necessity at this point) or get better performance from this new config I'd be all ears and thank you.

Good Luck
veromay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #31
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
And a lot of cars no longer come with a spare wheel! And they call that progress!!!
The difference being that a full sized spare is actually helpful in any situation where it would be needed.

Given that CD/DVD is going the way of the dinosaur, an optical drive is significantly less so. It's little different than floppies were in times past, and its time is definitely passing.

And all of the above comes from someone who intentionally purchased a laptop with an optical drive because of the amount of CDs already in the household, most of which have been re-digitized in MP3s.

And the convenience of booting from USB rather than optical media really cannot be overstated.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #32
UK

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm of the older generation and get a kick out of repairing things and keeping things going - I drive a 1986 Volvo 240 Estate, which I have spent a stack of cash on to keep it going and a lot of my time, but I love it. Starts first time and never lets me down. Very few around now where I live, and it does get a fair bit of attention from the car fraternity, including quite a few youngsters.

But back to the business of upgrading.

I've got the RAM up to 8GB and the 1GB SSD runs like lightening - just switch it on and it's there! Really impressed.

I installed Windows 10, which went OK, other than it doesn't support my graphics: Intel 3000 on i3, or Richo laser printer.

So I've partitioned the drive 50:50 and have got Windows 7 running on e:, however, I now realise that I installed the two o/s the wrong way round, i.e. 7 should have gone on first, and then 10. As a result, I don't have the boot option that I gather 10 sets up when put on last.

I started using F12 to select, but that's stop showing the drive options now.

So I'm wondering, do I need to reinstall Windows 10 to get the built in boot option established? I'd rather do that than install third-party boot software. Or, is there a tweak that can magic it up?

It turned out that the old drive was faulty - I ran the internal diagnostics and it flagged it up as faulty, which no doubt explains all the fun and games I had with it.

Still not sure about windows 10, i.e. is it style over substance? Lots of bells and whistles that I'm unlikely to use. I rang DELL technical support, who told me that my laptop has reached: "end of life" as far as they are concerned, and that they don't keep anything for it, not even a copy Windows 7, which I couldn't download from Microsoft - after entering my serial key, it told me to contact the manufacturer! But think I have got over that one now.

The DELL tech did advise me to switch off W10 updates, as he reckoned they will gradually make things worse. At the moment, other than slightly paler screen colours, it seems to be running ok.

So, pity about the compromises that have come with upgrading, but it's only cost me 130, which wouldn't even buy a cheap Chromebook. One thing for sure, it is very, very quick to respond- the boot is instant

If anyone knows how to establish the dual boot in W10, that will really be appreciated.

Or how to update the firmware in a Rcho SP 211 printer - I've downloaded a file reckoned to do the job, but what happens after unzipping it? Apparently, there's a chance of finding a driver if the firmware is updated.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi

I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 - service tag: 28GNLT1 - running Windows 7.

If compatible, I would like to fit a 1 TB SSD, any advice re feasibility and brand/model will be appreciated.

Peter
I did just that a few months ago to the same computer. First I upgraded RAM to 8GB. Then I used the free Macrium Reflect program to image the HD to the SSD using a USB to SATA connector. The speed increase was dazzling. Then I found the link to upgrade W7 to W10 for free. The tired old laptop was actually faster than my newer laptop. The next day i purchased another SSD for the newer laptop and upgraded that one.
dtberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #34
UK

So I reinstalled W10 and on the first attempt the dual boot option showed up, but since that first start-up the boot has been all over the place, either a blank black screen, or straight into W10.

Also, I have been unable to get any internet connection on the Windows 7 partition. I tried updating drivers in device manager, but says nothing available?

I'm wondering if I should wipe the drive and start over?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #35
Registered Member

My System

I would ditch Windows 7 all together, if I were you.If you need Windows 7 for a particular program you can install it in a Virtual Machine.
If you want to try and fix download EasyBCD to manage your Dual Boot.
Then Boot into Windows 7 and download the WiFi adapter driver for the Dell Drivers site https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...-n5050/drivers
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #36
UK

It didn't go well yesterday - ended up 10 wouldn't boot at all. I reinstalled windows again, but still no dual boot and flaky on start-up.

I found some recovery discs I made when I first got the laptop and used them to format the drive and start over with the original W7 set-up.

I installed the drivers for my "mature" and trusted laser printer, and installed a couple of older programs that I use.

Updated all the drivers, and when everything was running sweet I cloned C: to E:

Then went to the Windows upgrade site and downloaded 10 as a direct upgrade, which has installed OK, along with a digital licence.

I opted to retain all the programs installed on 7, and the good news is that my laser printer is working fine on 10, as are other programs that were on 7.

The only down-side is that no dual boot was installed, but then as everything now works on 10, I don't really need it.

I might ring Dell support to see if they know why no dual boot was set up, having tried a number of times.

Thank you for all the advice, and I hope you all have a great week-end.

ATB

Peter
Old 05-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #37
Registered Member

My System

We're glad you got it sorted!
I don't think your going to get much help from Dell. They will tell you that they don't support Dual booting especially with the non supported Windows 7.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #38
UK

Looks like I spoke too soon!

I used 'Restart' and after closing the computer started up again, but with a black screen - the boot continued but nothing but a black screen.

Then after a couple of closes, the screen just went black permanently.

I had made a recovery USB and used it, but lost all of my programs.

The 'Restart' is as before: black screen on starting but continuing the boot.

Had enough of it for today - looks as if the best option is to use my recovery disks again to return to W7.

Looks as if Dell were right about using W10 on this particular machine.

Very disappointing.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 AM   #39
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Looks like I spoke too soon!

I used 'Restart' and after closing the computer started up again, but with a black screen - the boot continued but nothing but a black screen.

Then after a couple of closes, the screen just went black permanently.

I had made a recovery USB and used it, but lost all of my programs.

The 'Restart' is as before: black screen on starting but continuing the boot.

Had enough of it for today - looks as if the best option is to use my recovery disks again to return to W7.

Looks as if Dell were right about using W10 on this particular machine.

Very disappointing.
Reports on the web reveal the black screen was a problem to other users of the same model, but a BIOS update to version A5 fixed it. See the discussion here https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...4773833/page/2

The update is available here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...15-intel-n5050

I strongly recommend you apply it.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #40
UK

Thank you - I have used that file to update the BIOS and it does seem to have worked.

I had checked earlier and it said it was up-to-date, but clearly not.