Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Drive

812 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fzabkar 
#1 ·
My Transcend 500 GB External USB drive crashed during operation, now it doesnot power on at all. Showed to some experts, they say the Circuit Board on the internal drive (Samsung PATA) is gone. Went to Professional Data Recoverers, but they are charging 10 times the price of the drive for data recovery. I am thinking of buying a similar HDD and replacing the circuit board, will it work?

#2 ·
How much is 10x the cost ? Data recovery is not cheap backups are cheap! You have to move the rom info from the old controller board to the new one in almost all cases which is not normally a diy thing. Some places that sell the hdd controllers will do this for you and some people have had success and others have not. What is the specific make and model of the hard drive inside ? Do you have a picture of the label off the drive ?

#3 ·
A faulty circuit board should not be an expensive repair. In fact it shouldn't cost more than US$100, probably more like $50, including a "firmware transfer" or "ROM transfer", if necessary.

I have witnessed one thread at HDD Guru where several data recovery professionals have claimed that a straight board swap should work for Samsung drives, but another individual claimed that a chip swap was required.

Do you have a photo of the component side of the PCB? Sometimes there is an easy DIY fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.