Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

CrystalDiskInfo shows new drive failing exponentially but no other program does

This is a discussion on CrystalDiskInfo shows new drive failing exponentially but no other program does within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just got a new 12 TB WD Gold drive and CrystalDiskInfo said it had 2 bad sectors, then a

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I just got a new 12 TB WD Gold drive and CrystalDiskInfo said it had 2 bad sectors, then a few current pending sector counts, then a few dozen, now a few hundred, and it gets worst every few hours since I have the drive.

However, no other program, including HD Tune or WD's Diagnostics program find any problems whatsoever.

I'd rather trust CrystalDiskInfo and get the drive replaced, but will either the store or manufacturer refuse an exchange since WD's program says there's nothing wrong with it?

This is a drive I expect to last me 5-10 years, so I refuse to use it when it's failing at an unprecedented rate according to CDI.

BTW, while WD's program was testing the drive, it would often slow to an absolute crawl (probably far less than 1% of the normal speed), where the time remaining increased rapidly for hours, and then it would sometimes go back to normal speed, the extended test took well over 24 hours while a complete format took maybe 14-16 hours.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I'd trust WD's diagnostics over CrystalDiskInfo. Do all you know, CDI may be getting a bad read from the newer 12TB HDDs.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
I'd trust WD's diagnostics over CrystalDiskInfo. Do all you know, CDI may be getting a bad read from the newer 12TB HDDs.
I thought that might be the case, but why are the numbers getting worst every few hours as I use the drive and why did WD's test slow to an absolute crawl for hours before going back to normal speed?

Are there any other HD testing programs that would be more trustworthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I just installed PassMark DiskCheckup and it finds exactly the same problems as CrystalDiskInfo. I also updated CrystalDiskInfo to the latest version and it again finds the same problems.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

If you want to feel better, just claim warranty support on the drive. They can look at it in the lab and repair it if its bad.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Can you post CrystalDiskInfo's SMART report?

WD's Data LifeGuard does not tell you the raw value of each SMART attribute. For example, WD's SMART report will never tell you how many bad sectors the drive has encountered, whereas CDI and most third party tools will.

Moreover, Data LifeGuard will not tell you if any sector is "slow" to read -- it just tells you whether the sector is readable, irrespective of how long it takes. OTOH, tools such as MHDD (DOS) or HDDScan (Windows) will identify these slow sectors.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
Can you post CrystalDiskInfo's SMART report?

WD's Data LifeGuard does not tell you the raw value of each SMART attribute. For example, WD's SMART report will never tell you how many bad sectors the drive has encountered, whereas CDI and most third party tools will.

Moreover, Data LifeGuard will not tell you if any sector is "slow" to read -- it just tells you whether the sector is readable, irrespective of how long it takes. OTOH, tools such as MHDD (DOS) or HDDScan (Windows) will identify these slow sectors.
I'm not sure if the screen shot image will load but it should be below:

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I would replace the drive, if possible.

Pending sectors are those that have been identified as unreadable and are waiting to be retested and/or replaced with spares. ISTR that some Hitachi models will continue to report Current and Worst values of 100, even when the drive is essentially dead. (I suspect that your drive may be a rebadged Hitachi Ultrastar He12. A photo of the PCB may help to confirm this).

I would write zeros to the entire drive and then rescan it. This should remap any bad sectors. However I would still replace the drive, whatever the outcome.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

The pending sectors increase constantly as the drive is used. I have requested a replacement from Newegg. I am formatting and secure erasing the drive, I expect the numbers to keep getting worst.

Interesting, I just checked as the drive is formatting and the pending sectors are down by 8 to 456.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I suspect that the Current Pending Sector attribute counts logical sectors (512 bytes) whereas the Reallocated Sector attribute counts physical sectors (4096 bytes). Therefore I expect that the latter count will have been incremented by 1 if those 8 pending sectors were replaced with a spare. The actual number of pending physical sectors would be 0x1D0 / 8 = 0x3A (58).

BTW, attribute 0x16/22 is the helium level, currently 0x64/100 percent.
Closed Thread