Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Corrupted/Unreadable Partition

This is a discussion on Corrupted/Unreadable Partition within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I so need your help now. I have two partitions and one is corrupted. See the image below. First of

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #1

I so need your help now. I have two partitions and one is corrupted. See the image below.

First of all, i am using windows XP pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Here's what i did. This is an external HDD within an enclosure. I attached it to my friend's computer and created some Permissions under the Security options. I kind of messed up doing it (the permissions) because all of the subfolders are also "Access Denied". So, what i did was to do a system restore to undo any changes. And during the process of system restore, i turned off the enclosure and the whole process was cut short, when the pc restarted, the System Restore window appeared and there was a prompt that it did not finish the process successfully. I attempted another system restore, this time my enclosure is turned on, but there was a prompt about my drive J: that says there was an error and that system restore cannot undo the changes blah blah. Then i just hit OK then let the system restore task finish. It did. But when i accessed one of the drives/partition of my external HDD, it was renamed to Local Disk (J:). then when i tried to double click it to open it, then this error appeared that says:

Is there, by any chance, a way that i can still recover ALL of the files under that drive? I can't afford to lose all of my files although i already backed up 80-90 percent of it. I still need the other files. Please do help me. Can i still recover the size of this other partition? It's a 138 GB partition, i would be devastated if the 138 GB won't be usable. This is a 300 GB HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #2

Have you tried running the Chkdsk error checking tool? Go into My Computer, Right click on J:, select Properties, Go into the Tools Tab, and click Check now... under Error checking.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #3

yup, i tried that and when i click any of the two options, nothing happens. I even tried the chkdsk /r and chkdsk /r/f using the windows xp pro CD, it did not fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #4

Do you need to recover important data off the partition? If not, you can always format it again.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #5

yup. i really need to recover all of the files.. those are all important files.. i w ish you guys can help me.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

google search for partition table doctor that will fix your woes
Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #7

tnx.. imma try it later this day.. but if this will not work, are there any other ways to recover fileS?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #8

There are a bunch of programs out there that are rather expensive that can do the job. Take a look at this:
https://www.whitecanyon.com/recover-m...a-recovery.php

It will tell you if it can recover the files or not.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 PM   #9

any more suggestions? ^_^
Old 06-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #10

Hi,

Try

Get My data back

https://www.getdata.com/

There are numerous other data recovery programs around.

hth

Ceri
Old 06-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Roaming To Help

I can't be sure, but your system files won't be deleted that quickly. They will still be on the HDD, just try to use it as less as possible.

It looks the the MFT which holds all the metadata on each sector and file has become corrupt. That is basically like an index pointer for the drive to find all the files, from which sector to which one file exists. If some corruption occurs in that, the system can't see or access the files - unreadable. It's in the root directory as $MFT and a mirror of it.

If you use PTDD Partition Table Doctor or Paragon Hard Disk Manager, it should be able to "restore your partition" and allow access to each file.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
If you use PTDD Partition Table Doctor or Paragon Hard Disk Manager, it should be able to "restore your partition" and allow access to each file.
how do i do this? do i have to delete and create the partition again? how do i restore the corrupt MFT pointer something? ^_^
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
Roaming To Help

If you download>install>start the program you'll see options for restore partition.
Closed Thread