Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Copy files from old hard drive via USB

This is a discussion on Copy files from old hard drive via USB within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, wondering if anyone can help out with this. I have a hard drive taken out of my old desktop

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, wondering if anyone can help out with this. I have a hard drive taken out of my old desktop PC that I need to get files off. It was the main drive on my desktop and has Windows Vista installed on it. I only have a laptop now, so purchased a SATA/IDE>USB cable to connect. When I plug this into my laptop it picks up the hard drive, but then says the device cannot be recognized, so it's not in My Computer. Is there anything I need to do to be able to access files on it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Is the drive listed in Device Manager showing problems?

Try connecting the drive to another PC to see if installs properly.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
purchased a SATA/IDE>USB cable to connect
Does the adapter come with a power adapter? If so, make sure it is the correct one and that you use it. Plug the Power plug directly into the wall socket and not through a Surge Protector or Extension cord (diminishes the power). With the device plugged in, go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc right click devmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. Are there any devices with a yellow marks or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so right click and Uninstall it. Unplug the USB cable and restart the computer. Be sure you are plugging the USB cable into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front or through a Hub. You should get a new hardware wizard. If you get the wizard but the drive is not listed in Explorer or Computer, then go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc right click diskmgmt and Run As Administrator. In Disk Management is you drive listed? Is the space listed as Unallocated Space? If so, the drives file system has become corrupted.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port win 7 driver
Dears, Ur help is highly required in this issue, i need to connect to Cisco switch through console and because my laptop doesn't have serial com port, so I am using USB-to-Serial media converter but its not working i believe its a driver matter, the model i'm using is intex USB media converter...
khaled.bahr Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 5 03-22-2012 12:14 AM
[SOLVED] Laptop Hard Drive Connection Help
Hello, first post. I have a question... My old laptop finally died and I removed the hard drive, and pretty much everything else just for fun, and as an educational venture. I'm wanting to know what type of connection the hard drive from my laptop has, because it isn't the same as another hard...
FxTrader Hard Drive Support 4 03-19-2012 07:39 PM
BSOD after updating my Blackberry while plugged in USB overnight
Hi everyone, The weirdest thing happened to my Thinkpad T510 when I was updating my new Blackberry 9900 yesterday where I left my computer on while it was updating and went to bed. I woke up and my girlfriend closed the lid and when I reopened it there was a BSOD. Idiotically I didn't take a...
ergodyne85 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 7 03-19-2012 03:10 PM
How to initialize drive
I have got 320gb hard drive that dont pick it gives me this error Can you please assist me
zahir Hard Drive Support 2 03-19-2012 04:14 AM
SATA to eSATA enclosure possible with this external drive?
Hi guys, I have an old external hard drive. I have stopped using it because of a socket connection problem. However it can easily be solved by just changing the enclosure. This is the specs for my external hard drive, according to Firmware Search SEAGATE ST9320320AS 320.0GB Hard Drive...
venn Hard Drive Support 2 03-18-2012 07:36 PM