Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copy files from old hard drive via USB

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone can help out with this. I have a hard drive taken out of my old desktop PC that I need to get files off. It was the main drive on my desktop and has Windows Vista installed on it. I only have a laptop now, so purchased a SATA/IDE>USB cable to connect. When I plug this into my laptop it picks up the hard drive, but then says the device cannot be recognized, so it's not in My Computer. Is there anything I need to do to be able to access files on it? Thanks

#3 ·
purchased a SATA/IDE>USB cable to connect
Does the adapter come with a power adapter? If so, make sure it is the correct one and that you use it. Plug the Power plug directly into the wall socket and not through a Surge Protector or Extension cord (diminishes the power). With the device plugged in, go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc right click devmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. Are there any devices with a yellow marks or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so right click and Uninstall it. Unplug the USB cable and restart the computer. Be sure you are plugging the USB cable into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front or through a Hub. You should get a new hardware wizard. If you get the wizard but the drive is not listed in Explorer or Computer, then go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc right click diskmgmt and Run As Administrator. In Disk Management is you drive listed? Is the space listed as Unallocated Space? If so, the drives file system has become corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.