Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Copy files from DOS HDD into new pc

This is a discussion on Copy files from DOS HDD into new pc within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. Sorry I wasn't sure where exactly I should post my thread at. So I thought this might be the

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #1

Hello.
Sorry I wasn't sure where exactly I should post my thread at. So I thought this might be the best place.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this.

I have these two old computers in my restaurant. they both run with DOS. the person installed 2 POS software on these computers 6 years ago, and now one of the computers is broke.

I called the guy and he said he would charge me $5000 for each computer and he put another version of the POS software, because he doesn't have the old one.

My question is, if I buy two new computers myself, am I able to copy the POS from the DOS into the new computer, or am I able to use the hard drive of the old computer?

Note: These computers are very old. the only option I have is using floppy disk.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #2

Hi D1same, you should be able to hook up the old hard drives to the new system as slave drives to copy your data. A six year old drive is probably small and slower than the newer drives that are produced now. I would copy the data you need from the drive, then format the old drives afterwards. If they are big enough you can use them as storage in the new system. Mike
Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #3

Thank you Mike.

The problem I have is that I have never used DOS before.
Do you think would it work if I install DOS in new pc and transfer datas from old HDD into the new one? Or there could be a better way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

The new computer you buy will have Windows Vista or Windows XP preinstalled, so all you need to do is hook up the drive and computer should automatically recognize it. Then you copy over your files. Mike
Closed Thread