Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Converting ntfs to fat32 using AOMEI Partition Assistant

This is a discussion on Converting ntfs to fat32 using AOMEI Partition Assistant within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I accidentally interrupted the operation during the changing clusters process of the conversion by shutting down the laptop. Now, when

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

I accidentally interrupted the operation during the changing clusters process of the conversion by shutting down the laptop. Now, when I plugged my External HDD in USB 3.0 Port, it is not detected. However, in 2.0 port it is detected but prompts me to format the external hdd. What should I do to fix this withhout data loss? And if there is o other choice but to format it, can I recover some if not all data using recuva?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

You can convert a drive that is FAT32 to NTFS without data loss. However, you cannot convert a drive from NTFS to FAT32, you have to backup your data to another drive and then Format the drive and start over. AOEMI has this ability, but it has mixed results and not always successful.
If you were trying to convert the file system and the computer lost power, then the format is corrupted along with all of the files.
You can try making an Ubuntu Live CD, booting off of that and try accessing the drive and see if it can see any files for you to save to another drive.
If the drive is recognized by the computer you can try free Data Recovery program TestDisk. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
But chances are great that you won't be able to get any usable files off of the drive.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

What is the best way to convert from NTFS to FAT32 regardless of losing any data. I just want to revert it to Fat32. Data or no data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

What is the Windows Operating System you are currently running? Your profile says Windows XP? There are different instructions for different OS's. If XP is not your current OS, please Update your Profile.
If you have safely backed up the data on a drive and no longer worry about loosing data, the best ways to convert from NTFS to FAT32 is to Format it FAT32.
With the drive attached, go to Disk Management, Right click the drive and choose Format, choose FAT32. Or you can use a 3rd party partitioning app.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

From what I understand you can convert TO ntfs but not from, I am probably wrong though.

Just remember FAT32 can't deal with files over 4gb(ish)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

All files of any importance should have at least 1 backup copy, 2 or more backup copies if the files are of particular importance. This become particularly important before a relatively high risk procedure such as file system modifications.

There are third party programs that can convert NTFS to FAT32, but most likely not free. Whether or not they could do so with a partially converted drive is questionable. Most likely the program would refuse to proceed because of the corrupted file system. In any case I would recommend against trying. Such programs are designed to work with an intact file system and not for data recovery. The risks of further damage would be high and that would make data recovery more difficult.

It would be best to recover what files are recoverable, format the drive as FAT32 and then restore the files from your recovery media. Sorry, I maintain backups and have little experience with data recovery
Closed Thread