Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Computer wont recognize WD MyBook 1T after SP3 Install and uninstall AND MORE...

This is a discussion on Computer wont recognize WD MyBook 1T after SP3 Install and uninstall AND MORE... within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I actualy have two hard drive questions. Let me explain the first one... Recently a friend gave me the Adobe

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #1

I actualy have two hard drive questions. Let me explain the first one...

Recently a friend gave me the Adobe CS4 suite to try out, since I need Illustrator for a class I'm taking this semester. So when I go to install it, it tells me it needs SP3 in order to install. Well, okay. I'm a little nervous about installing that so I wait. Today I tried installing it on my work computer so I could get some homework done while I have downtime. So SP3 installs fine and everything...But then...Windows wouldnt read my WD My Book 1T. It did it fine before, lots of times (I've been using it since my home computer drive died, we'll get to that later.) but for some reason it didnt like SP3. I read that it was uncompatable all over the internet,so I decided to just roll back to SP2 via uninstall on add/remove programs, just like Microsoft's website instructed me. So I uninstall it...and after a restart, my computer STILL wont read my drive. (It also wont verify my LAN identity on my network....)

Heres a description of how it behaves:

I plug it in, it spins up and starts loading.
Windows detects a mass USB storage device.
All running windows freeze and/or become unresponsive, untill I unplug the drive.
Autorun doesnt play, and its not registered in my windows explorer.

Why, microsoft, why cant your patches just WORK??

My next question pertains to my desktop at home. I built it last summer and since then I'm on my second HD replacement. My first hard drive....(350 GB Caviar Black by Western Digital) died around December, after approximately 6 months of use. I then ordered a replacement of the same model and this one failed within a month of use. (I heard grinding noises for a couple weeks on and off, then one night read and write hang ups froze my computer and I heard the drive spin up unnessicarily often. Dealing with lots of bad HDs, I figured out quickly what it was and backed up.) My technician noticed this replacement drive was recertified, and not specificly labled refurbished. He states with his experience in an electronics factory, these are the definitions of these words:

Recertify: Someone sends in the item claiming it doesnt work. Tests are run, the item works for the supplier. Supplier packs it up and sends it out as a warranty replacement.

Refurbish: Someone sends in the item claiming it doesnt work. Item is then gutted and rebuilt as nessicary. Supplier packs it up and sends it out as a warranty replacement.

So in light of this, I called Western Digital and got a refurbished drive instead of recertified (though I don't know if theres even a difference to this company) and the guy even upped it to a 500 gig, which is cool.
The only other problem I could think about is my power supply. Its a really crappy one I bought on the spur of the moment, intending to replace it later, but it hasnt burnt out and its worked fine. I've ordered a rosewill replacement just in case its that. The tower that I have has a power guage on it that measures the power...and the hand on it frequently spikes, tapping on the plastic barrier on the extreme end of the guage. I dont know whether this is a power malfunction that could destroy a hard drive in no time, or if its because the Power supply is 500-600 watts, and just gives off more power than ususal. All my other hardware is fine, so let me pose to you my final question:

What do you guys think? Do I just have bad luck with Western Digital drives, or could my power supply be wearing these guys down with small power surges (or any other way)?

Should I put in my replacement drive before I get my power supply replaced? (its coming in the mail still) Do you think it would hurt it to do so for atleast a little while?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Mari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

The WD blacks are pretty stable drives, haven't seen many for data recovery.... I would suspect there might be a PS issue - I was leaning to that before you even said it was a "really crappy one" :)

On the mybook was it formatted fat32 or NTFS?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

I'm really not quite sure, I just purchased it and started using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just a couple notes in passing.
Devices just draw what they need, a power supply that is larger
than requirements will now overpower your components. That's
on a regular basis, power spikes are a whole different story.
Lot's of normal power, good. Spikes, bad.
Also in the psu vein, you are going to replace junk, with junk.
Rosewill does not have quality power supplies. Always a good idea to read the stickies in the forums, a ton of useful information.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html
Closed Thread