Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

computer does not like Slave...

This is a discussion on computer does not like Slave... within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is supposed to be a simple process... I have a Dell 4600 (winxp sp2, up-to-date BIOS) that came with

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

This is supposed to be a simple process...

I have a Dell 4600 (winxp sp2, up-to-date BIOS) that came with a 80gb Western Digital IDE HD, it all works great. I took a 120gb Maxtor IDE HD out of another computer. I want to copy files from it to my dell, format it, and then use it as a secondary/slave drive in the Dell.

To do this I should only have to set the 80gb as the master, the 120gb as the slave, make sure that each one is on the right spot on the ribbon, and set the BIOS to "automatic", within the secondary drive section.

Problem is that when I do all that and boot up the computer it hangs on the "Dell screen" and then tells me "Primary Drive 0 Not found, Primary Drive 1 Not Found." I can try again using F1 or go into BIOS with F2. If I go into the BIOS, under Drive Config, both the Primary Master Drive and the Primary Slave Drive are labled as "unknown device."

Now, I have tried all sorts of different jumper position combinations on both drives. I have also tried switching their positions on the ribbon and playing with the jumpers then too. It is as if no matter what I do, when that 120gb drive is attached, the Dell cannot see it or my origional drive... I know that both drives are in good working order.

I did try attaching a different drive as a Slave just to see if it would work. Following the setup I said I tried first, winxp loaded just fine and it recognized the new drive, which is an old Seagate 40gb. I could only see it under Disk Management because winXP didn't automatically assign it a drive letter, but maybe that has to do with its partitions... whatever.

Does anyone have any confident suggestions? Thank you in advance! I think the problem is specific to my dell model or age. Or maybe it can't handle the size of the new drive (though I've tried the "cap limit" jumper setting). Very weird...

[EDIT: and I've tried different ribbons...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

I do hope you have the master on the end of the ribbon cable and the slave on the middle connector. Also, go look in the BIOS (Don't know that one) and see if your boot order is set properly with the Master listed after your cdrom and floppy.

Then, go to the Hard Drive Priority (if this bios has that feature) and make sure the master drive is listed first in that area.

Another thing to look for, make sure your ribbon cable is an 80 connector cable and not one of the older 40 connector cables.

If all else fails, then go to the Maxtor/Seagate website and download their utility and put it on a floppy and see if you can detect that drive. Some times, with their utility one can fix a drive that has a bad area in it without losing data.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Tumbleweed36,

I forgot to mention the boot order... within that menu it only displays:

1) disk drive
2)hard disk drive (not installed)
3) IDE CD ROM Device

I thought it should show both hard drives (of course, I have 2 dvd drives too...).

The cable is definetly 80 pin.

I will check the website and hunt down a floppy disk.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

wd drives are different from most with their jumper settings
master =jumpers removed
master with slave= jumper in that position
slave= in that position
so when you add a slave to a wd drive you need to reset the jumper position on the master drive

Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

The exact settings on the W/D are as follows:
(photo here: https://www.webcabcomponents.com/hard...s/wdjumper.jpg )
CS
SLAVE
MASTER
(nothing, blank)
PM2

The exact settings on the Maxtor are as follows:
(photo here: https://www.dostor.com/STOR_IMAGES/20...6135820841.jpg )

DS (Master)
CS Enabled
Cap Limit
DS (SLAVE) or spare
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

https://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, putting the WD on "MASTER" and the Maxtor on "DS (SLAVE) or spare" was the first thing I tried.
Closed Thread