Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

COMPLICATED - Raid 0 Issues at BIOS Level

This is a discussion on COMPLICATED - Raid 0 Issues at BIOS Level within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Complicated one people! I would be forever grateful if someone manages to solve this! It began when I originally purchased

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Complicated one people!

I would be forever grateful if someone manages to solve this!

It began when I originally purchased the Gigabyte P35W V5 laptop, I purchased this and planned to put my own M.2 SSDs inside as it has two slots. I planned to configure it as raid 0. So I went ahead and did this, everything went smoothly and I managed to get it configured as raid 0 but then I found other faults with the laptop. I planned on exchanging it but they were out of stock so I got the P35X V6.

The problem I have is I've backed up the OS onto a bootable USB but the BIOS doesn't find my M.2 SSDs at the BIOS level. These are the same M.2 SSDs that worked fine on the other laptop, I never formatted them and kept them setup as a Raid 0 but it doesn't give me the option to change the ACHI to SATA.

So I then installed the OS onto the HDD which I also installed on the laptop as there is a 2.5 Inch slot for it. The OS now boots from the HDD, I updated the BIOS and even tried to use the "Intel Rapid Technology" but could not find it on the laptop even though it tells me it is up to date.

I then attempted to update the BIOS and still no change. So I have two M.2 SSDs configured in Raid 0 installed on this laptop but are not showing up correctly on the laptop. There is no data on the M.2 SSDs, I've tried removing one of the M.2 SSDs and still no change.

The other issue is before the Raid configuration would show on Windows 10 with all the other drives as the two SSDs combined as it should be which is proof that it worked but for some reason I could not install the OS onto it cause of the issue at the BIOS level.

I then got desperate and removed one of the SSDs to try a single one to try and fix the issue now it doesn't show on windows. I've gone to disk management and it is there but it tells me it is not initialised and unallocated, it doesn't give me the chance to create a volume either.

The M.2 SSDs are fine, as they do come up under the advanced tab in the BIOS indicating which ports their installed under in the laptop, I just need to find a way to remove the RAID configuration and put them back to their original state which I can't with the current issue with the BIOS.

Just to be clear it shows them installed but it's not a bootable drive and it doesn't have any SATA option either.

Hope that's clear.

I have got two 1TB M.2 SSDs in Raid 0 which worked perfectly on the last Gigabyte laptop.

I also have a 2TB HDD installed which is now running the OS.

Many Thanks
Rhys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

For the sake of detail I have tried running the command
diskpart
list disk
It shows two hard drives:

Disk 0 1863GB (I think this is my HDD which is currently being used to run the OS which is 2TB)
Disk 1 1863GB (These must be the M.2 SSDs configured in RAID as these are single 1TB M.2 SSDs

I then tried cleaning it via command prompt
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean

which returns the error message:

"Virtual Disk Service error:
Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

It seems it thinks the OS is running off it, maybe because I did have an install of it before but I did clean it.

So I’ve exhausted many of the options available and was hoping someone could solve this issue!

Many Thanks
Rhys
Old 09-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

you do understand raid0 has no fault tolerance? if one disk dies you have no recovery except from backup [fat chance of that :-) ]

BTW you want your ssd drives holding the OS and programs. Makes no sense to have ssd's as a storage drive which is what you have done with them. Doesn't matter if the folder is there. The program files are on disk 0

To your issue:

"removed one of the SSDs to try a single one to try and fix the issue now it doesn't show on windows."

you broke the raid array and as such it doesn't exist anymore which is why you don't see it.

It is unclear if this is hardware raid [via a raid bios] or software [windows] raid. My instinct tells me its software raid.

I would suggest starting with disk management and posting a screen shot of what it sees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

I made a mistake in my original post.

Disk 0 Is the Raid
Disk 1 Is my HDD with the OS

When I tried to clean disk 0 is did so successfully but nothing has still changed.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

From your most recent screen shot it looks like you only need to initialize your disk in order to utilize the 2 gigs of combined M.2 / RAID0 storage. You can't expect to move RAID0 from one computer to another and retain data whilst doing so, as previously mentioned by the other thread contributor, RAID0 has no fault tolerance.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Disk 0 1863GB (I think this is my HDD which is currently being used to run the OS which is 2TB)
Disk 1 1863GB (These must be the M.2 SSDs configured in RAID as these are single 1TB M.2 SSDs
18630GB is 2TB not 1TB. Disk0 is not your HDD but your Combined SSD's in a RAID. Please run the Clean command on Disk0. Boot into Setup (Bios) make sure the HDD mode is set to AHCI. Go to the Security tab, if you see Secure Boot, Disable it, or change it to Setup Mode. If it is set to UEFI Bios, then change it to Legacy. Then do a clean install of the OS to the RAID Volume. If you have UEFI bios, you do not have to change the settings,
if you create a UEFI Bios Bootable Flash drive with Rufus in my signature.
Closed Thread