Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

compatible hardrive

This is a discussion on compatible hardrive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm just getting started, I want to add more hard drive to my computer but how do I know whats

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #1

I'm just getting started, I want to add more hard drive to my computer but how do I know whats compatible with my computer? don't want to mess it up. some help please https://kaanza.com/Shopping/ProductDe...oductid=350927 this is pretty much my computer. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #2

Any IDE hard drive will be compatible with your computer.

SATA might not be but if you can find what type of motherboard you have in there. I could easily tell you.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Al View Post
Any IDE hard drive will be compatible with your computer.

SATA might not be but if you can find what type of motherboard you have in there. I could easily tell you.
Motherboard Name Asus A8N-LA (Nagami2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #4

Here is a link for you motherboard information
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1843642

It does hae 4 sata plug-ins so my guess is it will support SATA 1 drives but not SATA2

SATA1 transfers at 1.5
SATA2 transfers at 3.0

---
sorry for the long wait on a reply. I am currently at work (AOL tech support) and I try to answer between calls.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Just wanted to add that if it supports the 1.5 transfer rate for Sata, that most Sata II (3.0 transfer rate) drives (not all) have a jumper that you can set the so the drive is compatible with the 1.5 standard. There is one I know of that has a software fix to make it work in the slower standard. Hope that helps and I did not look up the board, so just adding to what information you have been given.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #6

thanks for adding to that tumbleweed. This also reminds me. If you buy Western Digital SATA2 they are capable of being changed to SATA1 with jumpers.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

The drive that uses software (which is a pain BTW) is Hitachi. I would not recommend getting one of those and trying to change it to 1.5, because it is quite a process and not worth doing. The WD drives do use the jumper as mentioned and are an excellent Sata drive. I would recommend that brand name Sata for you.
Closed Thread