Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloning HD

708 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DBoydNL 
#1 · (Edited)
I am running Win7 64 bits. The drives are SATA drives. There are two bays in my laptop.
I made an image of my C partition (where the OS is installed) with Magix PC Check and tuning.
I then placed the new drive in bay 2.
I created a partition on the new drive, which is the same size as the C drive partition on the old drive. I had to give the partition on the new drive a letter: D.
I restored the image using Magix PC Check and tuning. All went well. It did all this under Windows.

I created two other partitions on the new drive (with Win7 Disk manager) and copied the files in the old partitions (only personal data) to the new partitions on the new drive.

I switched the two drives in the bays, but the new drive won't boot.

What did I do wrong?

I tried looking at the built in cloning stuff in Win7 Backup and Restore, but am not sure that will work any better copying the old partition C to the new drive or its partition.

What next?

David

See less See more
#3 ·
No, I am saying all went well with the process of restoring the image to the new hard drive. Since Magix works in the Windows environment (at least for this procedure) I partitioned and renamed the additional space on the new drive. THEN I shut down and switched the drives. I guess it actually booted at that point, but when I got back to Windows, I realized I really had no way of knowing which of the two drives it had booted from. When I shut down and removed the old drive, the system would not boot.

David

#4 ·
Re: Cloning HD UPDATE

So, I gave up. Took out the old HD and inserted the Win7 CD/DVD. Tried to fix in several different ways, all to no avail.
Finally decided to just format the C partition (on the new drive), and install Windows 7.
When it was done, I rebooted, which worked fine. So at this point the new drive booted up just fine.
I shut down and put the Old HD in the 1st bay, the new HD in the 2nd bay.
Then I restarted Windows and restored the image to the C partition (by now renamed to D) of the new HD using the software by Magix. Restoration went without a hitch.
Since this was all done under Windows, there was no need to reboot the system; it was working.
I shut down the computer, took out the old HD, and put the new HD in the 1st bay (leaving the old HD out completely).
Upon turning on the computer, the system would not boot. It doesn't tell me there is no bootable drive, it just sits there and blinks at me (underscore character in upper left hand corner).
I have now swapped the HD's and am running Windows from the old HD and the nice, fast, expensive new HD is just sitting there in bay 2, taking up space and generating heat.

What am I doing wrong?
What could the problem be?
What is the solution?

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.