Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

clone external SSD from my personal laptop(1) and install SSD to other laptop(2)

This is a discussion on clone external SSD from my personal laptop(1) and install SSD to other laptop(2) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. January 5,2018 I made an error when installing win 7 on one of my laptops (which has a SSD), After

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

January 5,2018

I made an error when installing win 7 on one of my laptops (which has a SSD), After the installation of win7 I did not have drivers for usb3 and wifi (laptop does not have Cd rom), So I cant install drivers via USB3 or wifi.

So only option was to buy a external case for SSD and connect it to my other laptop and download the drivers (exe files) and copy them onto the SSD....this way I can install the SSD back to the other Laptop and install drivers (exe files).

But, after doing some research on line, I need to format my SSD in order for me to get access to the SSD...

So my question is: Can I go ahead and use another laptop to format my
external SSD and install win7 on it and than install the SSD back to the different laptop.

please help, any other solution we be of great help...

please include software needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A Nice mod will have to remove your Email address so you won't get spammed.
What is the make and model# of your laptop?
Put the SSD back into the laptop and boot into Windows. Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
In the Device Manager. Any devices with yellow flags need to have drivers installed. Now expand Network Adapters. Do you have Ethernet LAN device installed? If so, you can use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet
Do you have a listing for Universal Serial Bus Controllers? If so, you have USB 2.0 installed.
If you can't use an Ethernet Cable, on an internet computer, go to the laptop Manufacturer's Support/Download drivers site, type in your make and model#, choose your version of Windows 7 (ie)32bit or 64bit and download the drivers you need from the Device Manager. Save them to a USB Flash Drive and install them on the troubled computer. Plug the Flash Drive into a USB 2.0 Port (Black) not a Blue 3.0 port.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Email Removed please do not post personal info like Email addresses it will get you spammed by scammers.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread