Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

chkdsk stuck, hard drive scratching

This is a discussion on chkdsk stuck, hard drive scratching within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On a windows support forum I was told to use chkdsk and now they haven't responded back. Chkdsk is 98%

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

On a windows support forum I was told to use chkdsk and now they haven't responded back. Chkdsk is 98% complete and practically stuck there (checking 1000 files every half hour).

However, my hard drive is making a continuous scratching noise and a clicking noise every minute. I read that stopping chkdsk is bad, but is a scratching noise worse? What should I do?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

How long has the chkdsk been running?

Is it still checking files are appear to be frozen?

What was the reason for running chkdsk?

Scratching/Clicking noise is not a good indication of a healthy drive.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

It appears that your drive has serious internal problems. You should stop chkdsk as it will not help and can only make things worse. If the drive is still operating you need to back up important data ASAP. Do not delay this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

You should check the drive's SMART report. I suspect it will tell you that your drive has numerous bad sectors.

Here are two comprehensive SMART diagnostics:

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring

HDDScan for Windows:
HDDScan

Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

See this article for SMART info:
S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dell Inspiron 600m No Boot Device Primary Hard Drive: None
Dell Inspiron 600m: No Boot Device. I'm a computer technician and this is one of my patients. I have manually removed the Bios Password and have unlocked the hard drive password. The problem is the hard drive won't boot. I removed and reseat the hard drive and it's still not booting/detected. I...
jakemcclear Laptop Support 16 10-19-2011 09:48 AM
Sluggish performance on a SATA Seagate Drive.
About a year ago, I started receiving odd blue screens of death. I noticed that the the computer (excluding the cursor) would freeze, and a whooshing noise followed by a beep would occur before a blue screen would appear. This issued happened randomly at about intervals of once every 3 months....
Maht33n Hard Drive Support 7 10-09-2011 01:58 AM
Hard drive crash situation. Help greatly appreciated!
Hello, I am making this post in hope that I get help with this frustrating situation with my crashed hard drive. The situation is that my laptops hard drive had crashed about 2 weeks ago. I already bought myself a new hard drive and the laptop is up and running, the thing is that I am trying...
webster7 Hard Drive Support 11 08-05-2011 08:35 AM
Cloning Hard Drive
Here is the scenario I would like to solve: I currently have an older hard drive that is used on my previous pc. I have purchased an upgraded pc (same brand) and would now like to use the older pc's hard drive as backup storage on the new pc. Before reformatting and placing it into the new pc,...
rogers family Hard Drive Support 1 05-26-2011 11:13 AM
How to copy your operating system from one drive to another.
Please do not post in this thread. I am rewriting an article. thanks. How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another Published by JohnthePilot 11-28-2006 How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another ________________________________________ How to...
JohnthePilot Dead-Sea Scrolls 2 03-05-2007 11:47 PM