Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

CD Drives Problem

This is a discussion on CD Drives Problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi: I have a HP Pavilion 7845, running Win XP home. I found this week that my computer won't recognize

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hi:

I have a HP Pavilion 7845, running Win XP home. I found this week that my computer won't recognize the cd drives. I went to the device manager and it shows the cd drives with an exclamation sign. the status says the drivers loaded successfully but can't find devices (error 41). I tried to update the drivers, didn't work, did recovery system, didn't work either, checked ribbon cable and mother board, they are fine. I still have the same problem. I heard it may be a problem in the registry but I don't know where to look for more info. If someone knows how to fix this I would really appreciate your help

Thanks

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Puk

do the drives show in bios ok on boot? is this just one drive or two? try putting in your windows disc on boot to see if you get the setup screen, then you'll know its jst a windows problem, if you cant boot from it at startup could be the drive or the motherboard. somewhere to start at least.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

I checked the mother board and it is working properly. The computer came with WIN ME and I loaded XP home. if I wanted to reboot from the cd should I use the cd for WIN ME or the one for XP

Thanks

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
Puk

so when you boot the machine, does the bios say that you have atapi-cdrom or whatever connected, it doesn't matter which disc to try, i was just trying to establish whether the motherboard/cdrom's work without windows i.e. at boot, i wasn't saying try and reinstall windows or whatever, just wanted to see whether your machine would boot from startup with a disc insterted, thus knowing that both the mobo and the cdrom's work, and that it is true a windows problem. But as you say you've established that the mobo and cdroms are alive then it must be winblows.

as i'm no win guru i can't really help any further tbh, sure someone here can, sorry can't help more.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Citizen of the world

Try this fix: Q3320553 - Missing CD Drives Win-XP
Closed Thread