Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

CD Drive not recognized

This is a discussion on CD Drive not recognized within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer is not recognizing the CD Drive. When I go to Device Manager, there is an "!" in a

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #1

Confused

My computer is not recognizing the CD Drive. When I go to Device Manager, there is an "!" in a yellow circle over the CD drive. I believe that means that the system is not recongizing it but I can't figure out how to fix it!

Also, my computer is running so slow....any suggestions for that!? I've added RAM before - should I add more? How much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

First check the jumper configuration of the back of the drive . If the drive is sitting alone on the connecting flat-cable it should be set to Master .. you'll know if it's alone because there will be another connector on the same cable that is not connected. if you have a hard drive on the same cable .. it should be set as Master and the CD as slave . You will note markings on Both drives .. if in doubt though ask .. master is usually the jumper closest the flat-cable .,.. and slave is in the middle or the second set of pins .. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS to this rule so always check.

is this a PC that has been working well for some time and suddenly failed? try removing the CD ROM and see if the hard drive works better. Also try removing the hard drive and see whether you can boot from the CD ROM .. you might have a problem with the Flat cable , the Hard drive might be failing (run a diagnosis using Linux UBCD .. lots of diag progs and easy to use, don't need to know anything about LInux .. and to finish, just power off AFTER allowing your diag prog to finish - doesn't write anything to HDD )

If you have two flatcables in your PC try swaping them over .. just be careful about how you do it .. make sure that you replace them exactly as you remove them .. sometimes they aren't "keyed" and can be replaced backwards .. that can damage your board

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid Pop-ups
I have Spysweeper and it keeps poping up the same item over and over and over. Spy Cookie found: yieldmanager cookie Spy Cookie found: adrevolver cookie Spy Cookie found: atlas dmt cookie Spy Cookie found: bluestreak cookie Spy Cookie found: 2o7.net cookie Spy Cookie found: redsheriff...
joshthemaster06 Resolved HJT Threads 34 03-07-2007 07:38 PM
Vcodec.eMedia, Smitfraud, Zlob.Downloader, Webhancer & More
I can't seem to remove any of these spyware/malware myself I've tried spybot, ad-aware, ewido, etc and now i'm coming to you in hopes of help. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 5:46:23 PM, on 10/23/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 SP2...
dking131504 Inactive Malware Help Topics 83 11-06-2006 06:20 PM
Asus P4P800-P4C800 Series: "RAID-Ready" Setup on Intel ICH5R
Hello everyone! Recently there was a question about the step-by-step procedure to create a "RAID-Ready" system using a motherboard (mobo) having an Intel ICH5R chip, such as the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. Having a "RAID-Ready" system means the system has only one SATA drive now, but everything else...
clintfan Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 5 04-23-2006 10:07 PM
Hijack Help
Ok, I have followed the KRC Anti-Spyware Tutorial and completed steps 1-7a. This is my first time posting to a forum so i'm a bit confused. Anyways, my problem began with AVG not able to delete CWS.homesearch. While running all of these suggested spyware programs it appears that I had several other...
jcaruso Inactive Malware Help Topics 18 01-31-2006 12:44 AM
Ern!, spywares and maybe virus - please take a look
Hi, Id like you guys to take a look at my log files for me please. Today i just turned on my PC as i normally do and i find i cant use anything related to .exe files, that includes IE anf Firefox browser. The only .exe file i was able to use was my dial up software, but once online i cant do...
Kagerusui Inactive Malware Help Topics 5 11-17-2005 01:42 AM