Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Cant use my internal drive in external (USB)

This is a discussion on Cant use my internal drive in external (USB) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I had got a problem recently with my main computer and I can't turn it on for the moment.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I had got a problem recently with my main computer and I can't turn it on for the moment.
In order to be able to get back some data, that are really important to me, i bought an adaptator to use my HDD as an external drive, connected in USB to my laptop
(By the way, if that does matter : my HDD is a Seagate 2To 7200/min, that i use as a second disk on my main computer, for data storage mainly, while the OS is on a SSD.)

The thing is that even if windows does recognize the hard drive (see pic below), it doesn't appear as a hard drive.

I can see it in the disk management though : disk 1 on the pic, and windows tells me that it is dynamic.

I can see it through diskpart aswell, and here it says that the disk is invalid and that there is no volume on it

I already tried to see if I could access to the HDD with a linux live cd, the answer is no.

So I wanted to convert the disk from dynamic to basic, because I read that this is possible without losing any data.
I tried the AOMEI programs but it doesn't work (& I'm not sure about what it says to me about the possible data loss)

either i get this with the Dynamic Disk Manager :

either i get this with the Dynamic Disk Converter (can't proceed) :

I wanted to try the dskprobe method aswell (see : https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=726327 )
but I don't have a "42" at the mentionned line (see pic), so I prefered to not touch anything
[img]blob:https://imgur.com/eb095b76-669a-4e96-a634-e70392c091ca[/img]

I'm really stuck and really annoyed with this.
Could somebody help me pls ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

:welcome to TSF:

Your dynamic disk has a (dynamic) spanned volume, Z:, and it's spanning two (dynamic) partitions, 1 and 3. You need to convert this spanned volume into basic partitions using Method 2. After that, you should then use Method 1 to convert the disk from dynamic to basic. The FAQ section here Contact AOMEI Technology Company and Learn AOMEI Mission, Service and History indicates so.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello Stancestans and thanks for your answer.

The problem is that when I choose method 2, nothing does appear, I just see my laptop HDD at the last step :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Seems like that won't work with spanned volumes. What options do you have when you right-click the disk in (Windows) Disk Management? Is there an option to import foreign disk?

Also, have a look at the tutorial here https://mypkb.wordpress.com/2007/03/...o-basic-disks/. It involves using TestDisk if all else fails. It may be an old post, but TeskDisk has remained pretty much the same in its functionality.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can Clone the spanned Dynamic Disks, to another drive with Unallocated Space setup as a Basic Disk. https://www.easeus.com/partition-mas...amic-disk.html
Then you can delete the spanned volumes on the troubled drive and create a new Simple Volume on the drive and copy your data back to it
Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

@ Stancestans : Nop, no "import foreign disk" option (I even installed a Win XP Pro virtual machine because I read this trick could work with it, but it didn't).
I only get : Convert to basic disk / Offline / Properties / Help

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll consider Testdisk as a last option.

@ spunk.funk : I don't have another 2 To HDD right now but yes that could be a safe way. However the "clone dynamic volume" doesn't appear in my EaseUS Partition Master (vers 12). Is that normal ?
Closed Thread