Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't start Windows 7

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 · (Edited)
Hard drive won't install Windows 7

I have a WD Raptor Serial ATA hard drive that will not complete the Windows 7 installation. It all started when I got a message "BootMgr is missing". I tried using Bootrec /RebuildBcd to rebuild the mbr. Didn't work. Thinking the problem might be hardware related, I installed the HD in another computer...Uh oh. ON the second computer, a bunch of diagnostic/correction gobbldy-**** happened and I gave up and replaced the hd into the 1st computer. I decided to format the HD and re-install W7. In the format process, the HD was recognized and the format proceeded. I then started the install. The install proceeded, e.g. "collecting info", "expanding files", etc. The program got past "installing updates" and indicated that it was "completing installation". The progress bar indicated about 75% done when it froze. A second try at installing windows 7 froze in the same place. What's going on? :facepalm:

#2 ·
its not really clear the steps you took but it sounds like your still attempting to load Win7 on the Raptor Drive which didn't work in the first PC nor the 2nd PC and thus you put a New drive in the first PC and I "assume" you got Win7 working ?

Then what happened ? If its still the Raptor then run the WD Diagnostics on it I suspect its failed/gone bad

#4 ·
Did you run the Western Digital Diagnostics on the drive yet ? if No then that is the next step to confirm my suspicion the drive is failing which is why you are having the install problems.

#7 ·
The W7 DVD is an original. The hard drive is not recognized by the W7 installation program. W7 is asking for a driver.

This HD is seven years old and has been used all day long practically every day since.
Is it possible that it is at the end of its useful life?

#8 ·
Seven year old disk used all day for seven years ! Wow surprised its lasted this long. You can check the disk SMART with hddscan.com If it were me I would recycle it and get a new drive no sense in risking important data on a 7 year old drive. I change mine out every 3 or 4 years and have backups just not worth the "risk" to my operation for my day to day machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.