Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can't install USB External Hard Drive in WinXP

This is a discussion on Can't install USB External Hard Drive in WinXP within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I hopw you can help me. I recently bought a Fujitsu Handydrive 300GB (Model number MME2300UB) USB hard

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
BFL
Registered Member

Hi all,

I hopw you can help me. I recently bought a Fujitsu Handydrive 300GB (Model number MME2300UB) USB hard drive that I canít seem to install on my computer. The machine is running Win XP Pro with SP 2 installed, with all the latest updates apart from SP3 (which I once installed before I had the hard drive, but uninstalled again because it was giving me problems with my wireless setup).

The device works fine on another computer (running the same OS), so it's not faulty hardware. However when I connect it to the computer in question, the hardware wizard tries to install it but fails. It then shows up in the device manager under 'Other Devices' as Ď usb deviceí, with a yellow exclamation point. In properties it shows an error message: Code 28 (the drivers for this device are not installed). Device Type: Other Devices. Manufacturer: Unknown. Location: 0 (other devices)

Solutions attempted:

Tried 'reinstall driver' and 'update driver' from the device manager. Each time it says 'cannot install this hardware because windows cannot find the necessary software'.

Searched the Fujitsu website and google for updated drivers. Nothing. The CD that came with the drive also does not contain any drivers.

I've tried using every USB port on the machine. Same problem. However, I have no problems using any other devices (USB Flash drives, USB mouse, webcam, USB wireless card) in any of the ports.

Iíve tried forcing it to install the drivers manually from the windows INF, but it wonít do that either.

I've tried uninstalling everything under 'USB Controllers' in device manager and reinstalling them. The drive still doesn't work, but the error message has now changed to 'This device is not configured correctly (code 1)'.

Fujitsu tech support havenít got a clue whatís wrong, but did confirm that there are no updated drivers or firmware available.

I've tried applying the hotfix: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/892050/ but no change.

I also found this suggestion elsewhere on the site. https://support.microsoft.com/default...=rss&spid=3223
I had a look through the registry, and 'UpperFilters' is present in the registry subkey that the article states should contain 'LowerFilters' (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}). 'LowerFilters' is not present in either subkey. I have no idea if this is significant.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

when you originally installed windows ........... was sp-2 already on the windows install cd or did you install sp-2 later ?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
BFL
Registered Member

It was on the orginal install CD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would look for updated motherboard chipset drivers
Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
BFL
Registered Member

Well, I've given that a go but still no joy.

I'm using an ASUS A8NE motherboard and updated to Nforce4 drivers version 6.86 which I'm pretty sure are the latest, but it's made no difference.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

at this point I guess I would go with a USB add on card which fits into a PCI slot and will deliver its own USB controller

you might try uninstalling all USB devices in the hardware manager and reboot ....... maybe it will detect and install a newer version ........ other than that possibility ....... USB card
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
BFL
Registered Member

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the controllers.

I think I've already got a PCI card. The Device Manager has an entry for 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller'. The Driver for that device is up to date as far as I can tell; it's Microsoft's own driver.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

well at this point the only left that comes to mind is a win xp repair install

this will not mess with your programs or data

it will remove all windows drivers / upon re-boot a complete new hardwars detection will occur as it also check critical windows files ................

you will need to reinstall ALL system drivers afterwards

in this order:

A) Motherboard chipset drivers

B) Lan Drivers

C) winddows updates and service packs

D) sound drivers

E) add-on controller drivers

F) video card drivers always last
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System