Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can't find lost partitions in TestDisk

This is a discussion on Can't find lost partitions in TestDisk within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Accidentally removed an external hard drive from my laptop. When I realized, I put it back in. Windows said I

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Accidentally removed an external hard drive from my laptop. When I realized, I put it back in. Windows said I had to format my drive, but formatting would erase all data on there. I don't have backups of the files (I know I'm stupid not to).

Not being a computer head I went to this forum:
https://www.wintips.org/fix-you-need...er-usb-unplug/

But at step 8 no partitions were found...

So then I found this forum thread:
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...sk-577151.html

Only problem is I have no idea what people are talking about with the solution.

Could someone please help me to understand / walk me through what I need to do.

I need to recover a lot in not all the files on this disk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Could you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/
Old 12-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

a.bmp

Is this it? I'm sorry I'm not a tech person
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Your screenshot shows a single FAT32 partition. The "Indicators" are ExC -- they should normally be EBC. This is telling us that the boot sector is damaged, probably overwritten with bogus data.

Highlight the DANI volume and select Open Volume. Do you see your file/folder tree? If so, expand the Root, select a desired file or folder, r-click it, and then Recover the Object to another drive.

Note that the free version of DMDE can only recover one folder (use the $Root folder, if possible).
Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

yes, that all words except I can. except "you may recover files from the current panel only (first open a subdirectory with files for recovery"

I really need to recover most if not all of the files ( roughly 35gb )
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

R-click the DANI volume and select Restore Boot Sector from the Copy. This will repair the damaged boot sector. You may need to select Edit -> Edit Mode and Drive -> Apply Changes.

Now safely eject the drive and reinsert it so that Windows can re-enumerate it. If the damage was restricted to the boot sector, then your files should be accessible in Windows Explorer. If so, then I would back them up to another drive before doing anything else.

After backing up your data, I would run CHKDSK against the drive. This should hopefully detect any other damage.

To prevent this same problem happening again, I would "optimise for quick removal". This setting disables write caching.
Closed Thread