Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cant acess external hd

703 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Fred Garvin 
#1 ·
hey
i am having problems with my external hd (250g seagate)
the problem began when i took it on a trip. i didint disconect the usb cable from it. to make a long story short i had to get a new case for it. however, the problem is that the hd is behaving inconsistant. i cant reformat, copy files to/from the hd, delete files or check for errors. sometimes it shows my files, sometimes it sais the folders i created are empty sometimes win explorer becomes "not responsive" when i try to browse the folders.
i would like to get the files back
tkx

#2 ·
licio, try running check disk on the Seagate drive. Connect it to your computer and find the drive letter assigned to the Seagate. Click your Start button, go to Accessories and right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

At the command prompt type the drive letter for your Seagate as follows - if it's drive E, type E:. Then at the command prompt type chdsk /r E:. If Chkdsk asks if you want to unmount the volume, type Y for yes and let it run.

#3 · (Edited)
i have tryed doing what you said 2x so far. both time end up with windows explorer locking up after i connect the external hd (usb). the first time i was able to see that the letter h was assigned to it and open the comm prompt before hanging. the second time hang right on connecting. win explorer unhangs when i disconect the usb cable.
i am using vista and i desabled all thumb generation thinking that would be doing it

third time:
also when i try on the dos prompt typing "h:" the _ goes to the line bellow and blinks, at this time i cant even close the dos window

#4 ·
It sounds like the hard drive or controller is bad on the Seagate and there isn't much I can think of that's going to help. You could try doing the steps above through Safe Mode (keep pressing the F8 key when starting the computer) and see if you have any better luck, but I don't think it's going to make a difference.

My suggestion would be to try connecting the Seagate to a PC every now and then and see if you can access the drive. If you can, try and pull files off it immediately.

You could also try downloading diagnostic software from Seagate's website and see if it has any better luck in accessing the drive.

#5 ·
the controler is brand new
i see the hd come up as "disk driver" on device manager
however it takes a LONG time for disk manager to load and when it does the seagate is not listed
if i cant recover the files is there a way i can at least reformat the hd?

#6 ·
I doubt you replaced the controller on the seagate hard drive (the circuit board). Device manager isn't going to have any affect. If Windows doesn't recognize the hard drive, the drive is bad. It makes no sense at all to try and reformat a bad drive if it's giving you this type of problem now. You could try and get it replaced from Seagate it it's still under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.