Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can't access my hard drive

This is a discussion on Can't access my hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When ever i click on my hard drive by accesing it through 'My Computer' it says 'access denied'. I am

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #1

When ever i click on my hard drive by accesing it through 'My Computer' it says 'access denied'. I am able to acces all the files on it through 'Explore' but it is a real Nuisance! Does anyone know how i can get rid of this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

Hi,

Is the drive new, old and is it IDE or SATA? Can you access the drive via going to Safe Mode and logging in on the administrator account?

Nick.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 AM   #3

my hard drive is about 3 years old i think, it is IDE, and it wont work in safe mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

Is it the only drive in the system? What changes, if any, were made prior to this occurring?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 AM   #5

yes it is the only drive on my system and just before this started occuring their was a random internet gateway connection to my computer but i manged to get rid of it. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but the problem seemed to occur just after this. Their is also a file called npf_user showing up inside the drive since this problem occured
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see if you can take ownership of the files
https://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
npf_user
this appears as though it might be a hijacking,follow the 5 steps here
https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=15968

Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #7

Thankyou, I have got ownership for this file but the original problem keeps persisting.
Closed Thread