Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can't access my External Disk Drive, Please Help??

This is a discussion on Can't access my External Disk Drive, Please Help?? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 1Tb EDD (Samsung) which is not showing up anywhere in Windows Explorer, so i can't access it

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 1Tb EDD (Samsung) which is not showing up anywhere in Windows Explorer, so i can't access it or open it

However, Device Manager can see it, and says in Driver Details it's working properly; also driver updates are all done

BUT Disk Manager says it's all unallocated - which isn't true, basically it's over 95% filled!!!!!!

It was reading it as Drive K all this while, i don't know what happened

Please please please please help!!!!!!! The data isn't exactly irreplaceable, but it's got a LOAD of material I'd rather not lose so I don't want to re-partition if it means i lose all the 900-odd Gb of data i had!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If there was some anomaly that occurred (ie) power surge, loss of power, computer was shut off during data transfer, etc then your HDD could loose it's "Table of Contents" of the files and show up as Unallocated Space.
You can use the Free TestDisk software to try and recover. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to Restore your files to.
If these files are important to you, you should have a copy of them on another drive or in the Cloud in case this happens again.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet drops when someone connects wirelessly
Hi all, I'm at my wits end. We had broadband from Plusnet (uk) put in at xmas. I've had a problem with my laptop connecting wirelessly so I've run a cable from the router up to my room. All's well and I can connect to servers and play online all day to my hearts content. It all goes...
Ataloss Networking Support 14 04-05-2013 03:37 PM
no audio after installing XP Pro SP3 to IBM T60
Sound worked fine before installing XP Pro SP3......after instal, no audio. No audio after installing XP Pro SP3 (from disc) on an IBM/Lenovo T60 ThinkPad. IBM/Lenovo drivers from Lenovo Support site for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" are not recognized when trying to install...
Ray G Windows XP Support 19 11-20-2012 07:15 AM
(Still) unable to access folders on external drive
Problem: A portable hard drive seems to have been infected by some kind of malware. Folders appeared as shortcuts and were inaccessible. Trend Micro's Housecall found a worm but upon fixing it the folders have now 'disappeared' even though the drive still has space being used up as if they are...
Sanuk Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 9 12-20-2011 01:28 AM
registry errors
Hi Ried, Lately, my laptop speed has decreased significantly. Every time I open the engineering software SolidWorks (SW) 2009, it terminates prematurely. I basically have to wait forever for my laptop to boot-up and about 3 days ago my anti-virus, Kaspersky Internet Systems 2011...
Shackkster Resolved HJT Threads 101 06-07-2011 11:30 PM
XXCLONE the easy world of boot drive cloning
Welcome to the kindergarten easy world of boot drive cloning. :wave: This project will demonstrate how to make an exact bootable clone (copy) of your existing hard drive. After the cloning process is complete, you may select which ever drive you want to boot from in the future. You shall...
linderman Hard Drive Support 0 12-26-2006 04:59 PM