Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

cant access info on external hdd

This is a discussion on cant access info on external hdd within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i have an external hdd which i use for my xbox 360 and is in FAT32. it is 1tb

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, i have an external hdd which i use for my xbox 360 and is in FAT32. it is 1tb and the brand is iomega. so yesterday, i plugged it into my 360 and it didnt recognize the hdd. after several attempts i plugged my hdd into my pc to see if it was ok. the pop up- didnt appear so i looked in my computer (by the way i am using windows 7) and the drive with the letter wasnt in the list. i tried to refresh and nothing came up. i rebooted several times, once with hdd plugged in and once without it plugged in. nothing.

so, after that i looked in control panel/admin tools/computer manag/storage/disk managment. as soon as i get in it tells me i must initialize a disk (disk1) before i continue, when i click ok it comes up with cyclic redundancy check. i can see the hdd (disk 1) but the bar is black and it says the drive is unallocated.

after that i was trolling and found your tutorial on test disk, it took about 18 hours to do the test and after the scan (step G) there was no partitions found and asked me to do a deeper search, in which case i didnt have an extra 3/4 of a day, so i exited out of testdisk.

i have also tried removing the hdd out of its case (and found out the drive is made by seagate btw) and plugging it into a seperate unused sata port (no i didnt forget to plug the power into the hdd!!). the computer refused to turn on with it plugged in, so i switched it off and removed the hdd. i turned the pc back on and then plugged the hdd into the same sata port (the pop up didnt appear either) and tried to reboot the pc. the pc didnt like it so i quickly powered it off and removed the hard drive.

so, my question is can anyone help me recover my hdd please. the hd wasnt dropped or damaged. i dont understand how you can use it, eject it properly and then a few hours later it decides not to work. the drive is only a couple months old. please help, i am extremely frustrated and out of ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Post a clear closeup pic of the component side of the printed circuit board of the drive. Can you feel the drive spin up when it is powered on? Also what is the model number of the drive (ST########-### ) and the firmware revision. These are on the drive label
Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

hi, i have attached two pictures for you to look at, if they are not good enough let me know and i will take some more pics.

The drive is indeed spinning when powered on
specs are

seagate barracuda 7200.12 1TB

s/n 5vp51arv

st31000528as

p/n: 9sl154-515

firmware cc44

date code: 10403

i hope this information helps you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1tbhdd.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	87009   Click image for larger version

Name:	1tbhdd1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	87010  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Need the other side of the pcb that is attached to teh hard drive. Remove the torx screws and it will lift straight up. Get as much of a closeup of that side as you can which is still clear so we can identify components.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

here are some more pics, theyre a bit blurry i will try again abit later to get some clearer shots. i hope they can help you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1tbhd.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	87057   Click image for larger version

Name:	1tbhd1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	87058  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

No obvious damage. Immeadiately behind the power connector are two black rectangular 'chips' these are transient voltage supressor diodes. Check both of these devices with a multimeter on diode check position and check both directions. They should conduct one way and not the other. if either one conducts both directions it has failed.
Closed Thread