Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can't access files on harddrive

This is a discussion on Can't access files on harddrive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I hope I can get some help here. I have a WD home cloud. It wont access to my

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I hope I can get some help here.

I have a WD home cloud. It wont access to my network, I have tried getting help from WD support, but with no help. Their last answer were that I should do a system erase. But I want to get my files before I do that.

So I have now tried researching on how to get files from my hdd.

I have opened my Home Cloud and removed the harddrive and connected it to me computer.

I have tried some programs: Linux reader, goodsync, freefilesync, ext2fsd, ext2explore and a few others.

First of all I just want to make sure my files are on the harddrive - is there a way / program where I can how much of the space is used. And maybe a way to see the files like in explore?

The programs I have tried, I cant see the files and I cant see how much of the harddrive that is used, so i know that my files is on the drive.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The drives in the cloud sever are in a RAID configuration. If 3 or more drives, probably a RAID5.
If you have access to another RAID controller, you can attach all of the drives to it, then enter the RAID control panel and configure the array.
If not, there are paid software programs that allow you to reassemble the array and copy your files. Here is a good one: NAS Data Recovery - RAID arrays - Buffalo Iomega DLink Seagate Western Digital - Data Recovery Software Products
Old 05-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for reply.

My home cloud is a single drive unit.

I have tried to the NAS data recovery, but it seems that it does not work. When I run the program it says it is a RAID-5

But I will try and write to Runetime and see if they can say why i cant use the program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 03:00 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

RAID 5 spans 3 or more HDD's and creates one Large Disk, so it looks like one large HDD. Each disk has a "table of contents' of each drive, so if one of the drives fail, you can replace and rebuild the array and not loose any data. You cannot have a RAID 5 with one large drive.
You may need to attach all of the drives in the Cloud Server to a working RAID Controller to view the files.
When it was working well, Did you download the WD Discovery app and sync files from your computer to the Server? If so, you would still have those files on your computer.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

So by default the Home Cloud harddrive is in RAID 5, even though there is only one harddrive?
Im not sure what you mean with
Quote:
You may need to attach all of the drives in the Cloud Server to a working RAID Controller to view the files

When I got my Home Cloud I uploaded all my files to it with WD Discovery APP. I have most of the files on my computer, but some of them I have deleted from my computer. Because I thought they were safe on the Cloud.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you also sign up for a WD Cloud service? This would also save your files on the WD servers at their location better known as the cloud for backup purposes, You could restore them from that Cloud service.
The Idea of Cloud Services, whether at home or in the Cloud (the hosting services servers at their location) . Is that you keep the original files and backup your files to a USB HDD, NAS/Cloud Home Server or Cloud Service. The Backup is just in case the original gets lost or corrupted or the drive it's on fails. You don't want to keep all of your eggs in one basket. So you defeat the purpose of Backing up, if you delete the original.
If you only have one Drive in the WD Cloud Home server, then it is not setup as a RAID 5. As stated, you need to have 3 or more drives of the same size to create a RAID 5 array.
Since there is only one drive, Your drive is probably encrypted with WD software, you would have to get a hold of them to be able to restore your files from that drive.