Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

cannot access seagate hard drive & crashes windows explorer

This is a discussion on cannot access seagate hard drive & crashes windows explorer within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive. When I plug it in, windows explorer no longer pops up and


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



I have a Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive. When I plug it in, windows explorer no longer pops up and asks "what do you want to do with this drive" or whatever it usually says. If I go to windows explorer and try to access it, explorer freezes and a minute or two later it refreshes. I cannot access anything in it. I have tried it on 4 different computers of varying ages and the same thing happens. The hard drive is old, but it has been working fine up until now.



I right clicked on it in explorer and at some point or another got the error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/o device error" the error code 0x8000FFF.


I think under the device management screen it said there was an issue with the device's drivers, however says the drivers are up to date when I go to check. I really can't interact with it much. Sometimes I can right-click on it and explore some of the options. I have tried using Disk Drill, Seatools, and Recuva. It won't even start searching- it just says there is an issue with the drive or something along those lines.



When I launch disk management, I am shown a prompt asking me to initialize the disk. The drive shows up as unallocated space totaling just under 1400 GBs. The hard drive says it is a 1500 GB hard drive. It should be filled almost half way with files, videos, former system images, documents, and music.


I have tried using Disk Drill, SeaTools, and Recuva, none of which were able to search the drive.


I tried running chkdsk in command prompt and was given some kind of issue with the drive being RAW.


If you want to hear something funny, because this hard drive is rather old, I went to the store today and bought a brand new 6TB hard drive. I went home to format the new drive and transfer all of the old files, and now the old one doesn't work. It was working fine as of 2 days ago!


Another thing- the hard drive was in use between 3 different computers: a windows 7 pc recently upgraded to 10, a windows 10 pc that is about 2 years old, and most recently a windows 10 pc I bought this month. Since buying this PC I have had problems with the drive- sometimes when I plugged it in it wouldnt register. I feel like it's always done this though, but I only recently started using the drive again. (meaning I wasnt transferring files much with it until recently- it was plugged into my dad's computer that he uses daily though, so it hasnt been left powered off for a really long period of time.)


EDIT: At this point in time, I don't need to use this hard drive anymore but I really want to get the files off of it.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,157
OS: Windows 10



Which FreeAgent model do you have exactly?
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Which FreeAgent model do you have exactly?
FreeAgent 9zc2a8-500
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,157
OS: Windows 10



That's a Seagate FreeAgent Desk drive. You can take it apart carefully and inside you'll find a standard 3.5" SATA hard drive that you can attach to a desktop computer internally. This will determine if the drive is still functional or not. If it works, then the SATA-USB bridge/adapter inside the case is faulty. If the drive is under five years old, then it might still be under warranty, and taking it apart voids that warranty, so you'll have to decide how you want to proceed. Warranties do not cover data loss though.

Before you take it apart, plug it directly into a USB port at the back of the computer (not the front ports and not through a hub). Place your ear close to the drive and listen for clicking or knocking sounds inside. Feel if the drive is spinning or not.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
That's a Seagate FreeAgent Desk drive. You can take it apart carefully and inside you'll find a standard 3.5" SATA hard drive that you can attach to a desktop computer internally. This will determine if the drive is still functional or not. If it works, then the SATA-USB bridge/adapter inside the case is faulty. If the drive is under five years old, then it might still be under warranty, and taking it apart voids that warranty, so you'll have to decide how you want to proceed. Warranties do not cover data loss though.

Before you take it apart, plug it directly into a USB port at the back of the computer (not the front ports and not through a hub). Place your ear close to the drive and listen for clicking or knocking sounds inside. Feel if the drive is spinning or not.

When I plugged it in to the USB port on the back of the computer it made a few light clicking sounds- which to my knowledge it always did. I can feel the hard drive vibrating but I'm not sure if it's actually spinning. I don't think it is spinning actually. It was spinning yesterday while I was having problems, I think.


EDIT: Not sure if it matters or not, but when I plug it in, windows makes that little jingle sound as it normally would. But nothing pops up on screen. Also, it's well out of warranty.


EDIT: Let me know what you think I should do. I have one of those docks that allow you to read 3.5in HDDs so if you think I should try that I can.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



Quote:
Originally Posted by dspcr View Post
When I plugged it in to the USB port on the back of the computer it made a few light clicking sounds- which to my knowledge it always did. I can feel the hard drive vibrating but I'm not sure if it's actually spinning. I don't think it is spinning actually. It was spinning yesterday while I was having problems, I think.


EDIT: Not sure if it matters or not, but when I plug it in, windows makes that little jingle sound as it normally would. But nothing pops up on screen. Also, it's well out of warranty.


EDIT: Let me know what you think I should do. I have one of those docks that allow you to read 3.5in HDDs so if you think I should try that I can.

EDIT: I own two of these hard drives. The one that still works is plugged in and makes the same amount of sound as the other one. It doesn't sound like it's spinning- just a light vibration
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



I got antsy, took it apart, and plugged it in to my computer with a Thermaltake BlacX that was laying around the house. Has to be at least 10 years old but it appears to still be working fine.


Upon connecting everything and trying to access the drive (D), I get the message
"the request failed to a fatal device hardware error"


Am I out of luck? I really want to get the data back.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,157
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by dspcr View Post
I got antsy, took it apart, and plugged it in to my computer with a Thermaltake BlacX that was laying around the house. Has to be at least 10 years old but it appears to still be working fine.


Upon connecting everything and trying to access the drive (D), I get the message
"the request failed to a fatal device hardware error"


Am I out of luck? I really want to get the data back.
I'm afraid the drive is defective and needs to be repaired (if possible). If the heads assembly is still functional (no repetitive clicking or knocking sounds inside), it's possible to swap the pcb with a known good one of the exact same model, but this requires knowledge and skill in electronics. The alternative is to spend a fortune on professional data recovery services if the data is worth it. Unfortunately I can't recommend any hard drive repair or professional data recovery service provider. Maybe others have first hand experience with and will be able to make recommendations, otherwise you'll just have to do a web search for them. To get you started https://www.google.com/search?q=hard...repair+service
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
I'm afraid the drive is defective and needs to be repaired (if possible). If the heads assembly is still functional (no repetitive clicking or knocking sounds inside), it's possible to swap the pcb with a known good one of the exact same model, but this requires knowledge and skill in electronics. The alternative is to spend a fortune on professional data recovery services if the data is worth it. Unfortunately I can't recommend any hard drive repair or professional data recovery service provider. Maybe others have first hand experience with and will be able to make recommendations, otherwise you'll just have to do a web search for them. To get you started https://www.google.com/search?q=hard...repair+service

Yesterday it made a couple clicking sounds that lasted about a second or two, but I've had it plugged in a bit since then and haven't heard anything similar.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,157
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by dspcr View Post
Yesterday it made a couple clicking sounds that lasted about a second or two, but I've had it plugged in a bit since then and haven't heard anything similar.
Those sounds are often not loud enough to hear from a distance. You have to put your ear very close (almost touching it) to hear any abnormal sounds made by a stuck head. The slight vibration is the disk spinning very fast, which is normal. It's normal to hear the occasional clicking sound when the head parks.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
OS:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Those sounds are often not loud enough to hear from a distance. You have to put your ear very close (almost touching it) to hear any abnormal sounds made by a stuck head. The slight vibration is the disk spinning very fast, which is normal. It's normal to hear the occasional clicking sound when the head parks.

Well no I don't hear anything other than that holding my ear up to it.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is on
Smilies are on
[IMG] code is on
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Post a Question


» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
  > 10.0.0.2
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2018, Tech Support Forum

Windows 10 - Windows 7 - Windows XP - Windows Vista - Trojan Removal - Spyware Removal - Virus Removal - Networking - Security - Top Web Hosts