Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can System Partition BackUp Image be Recoverd to a new HD

This is a discussion on Can System Partition BackUp Image be Recoverd to a new HD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been using EaseUS Todo BackUp to image the C:Partition of my laptop hard drive at verious stages of

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have been using EaseUS Todo BackUp to image the C:Partition of my laptop hard drive at verious stages of Windows 7 setup, and sugsequent software installs and settings
This utility works very well for making backup images, and then restoring the system, after anything at all goes wrong. I also have these images all backed up on a 1TB external drive.
I have a bootable CD to do the recovery with so that if Windows gets so corupted that It will not boot, I can still restore the system (C) partition.
Now, I am wondering:
if my hard drive were to go completely bad, could I use these backup images to set up a new hard drive? In other words, could I clone the new hard drive using these partitions images from my backup drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Yes, if you are restoring an image to the same computer the image was taken from to a new HDD it would work flawlessly. As long as it is to the same computer and not a different one.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Yes, if you are restoring an image to the same computer the image was taken from to a new HDD it would work flawlessly. As long as it is to the same computer and not a different one.
Yes, I would be restoring to a new HD in the same computer. Would I need to have the new, replacement, drive partitioned exactly as the old one was or would the image do that? This may sound like a silly question, but I am new to this drive imaging thing. I have only created backup images from a partitioned drive with software installed, and then recovered those same images to verify that they were good, and to get back to a clean system after experimenting with drivers, software, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

You do not need to partition and format the new drive, the image will take care of everything for you when you restore it.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
You do not need to partition and format the new drive, the image will take care of everything for you when you restore it.
Now bare in mind, the backup images are only for the C:Partition, which is 90gb of the entire HD. If I restore this image to an unformated, unpartitioned HD, will it simply recreate the C:Partition, make it active, and leave the remainder of the HD unalocated?

That is OK, as I believe that I could partition the unalocated portion after the fact, correct?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Usually when we clone a drive or partition, we are cloning it to a much larger drive. So, cloning software recognizes this and extends the partition to the end of the drive on the new drive if there is no partition.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Usually when we clone a drive or partition, we are cloning it to a much larger drive. So, cloning software recognizes this and extends the partition to the end of the drive on the new drive if there is no partition.
In my last post I was referencing recovering a C:Partition image to am unpartitioned drive, not cloning the drive, so would my last post be correct in that regard?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

If by Recover C: partition image you mean to Restore a Clone of C:, the statement still stands. Unless you cloned a partition and not the whole drive. Restoring a clone of a Partition will give you a mirror copy of the partition, the same size. If you made an image of a whole Drive, the restore would fill in the rest of the partition if the new drive is larger then the image.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
Registered Member

Sorry to be difficult, but no. I am not referring to cloning a partition. Rather I am talking about recovering the existing, much smaller, Backup Image of the 90gb C:partition to a new unpartitioned hard drive.

My hope is that this process would give me my old, clean, complete, active, bootable, system partition, with Win7, all installed drivers and software, settings, etc.... on the new drive, and then allow me to partition the rest of the drive to a D:partition, and simply copy over my backed up data.

Or, I could make a back up image of my d:partition as well, rather than simply copying the data, and recover that image to the unalocated space, then use a partition manager to extend the newly imaged d:partition to the end of the drive.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

How did you make your backup image? An Image file is usually using a clone software Ghost, Acronis etc, you have the choice of doing a mirror image clone to another HDD, bit by bit exact mirror image. If the Source HDD fails after cloning, you can replace the Source drive with the Destination drive and be fully functional. The other option is to can make an Image file, which is basically the same thing, a clone, bit by bit mirror image of the partition but it is compressed and it is saved as an ISO file or other .img file to another HDD or DVD. To restore, you must access this file with a boot CD you created using the clone or backup software used to create it to restore to a new hdd.
If you have something different, please tell me.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
How did you make your backup image?
Please go back and read my initial post for this thread, as I explained that all, very clearly, there.
Closed Thread