Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can I recover my hard drive?

This is a discussion on Can I recover my hard drive? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an hp and my sister accidentally restored our computer to the default factory settings, wiping out our hard

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #1

Question

I have an hp and my sister accidentally restored our computer to the default factory settings, wiping out our hard drive. She did this by pressing <f10> on the start-up screen, and clicking "yes" to the first pop-up window. My question is, Is there any way to reverse this and recover all my files? Thanks!

I've already tried to restore my computer to an earlier date, but that didn't work.

I also tried to delete a past recovery, but that didn't work either.

Every thing's gone. And the weird part is, (apparently) it didn't even ask her to confirm something as serious as wiping out a hard drive. It just proceeded to do so...

I can't think of anything else to do...

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Hi Ari-chan,

No I am afraid there is no way of recovering your data,at least not something you can do, maybe a data recovery expert or something, what your sister did was a full format and restore of the operating system.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #3

Thank You Doby!
I actualy just got off the online-chat with the HP Support guy, and he told me that there was nothing I could do, and that even Best Buy couldn't help me. Oh well. Thanks for the help anyway! =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

As long as the computer hasn't been used too much since deleting, you could try a data recovery program like PC Inspector (freeware) or GetDataBack (commercial).

These can often recover files from corrupt or formatted drives, but only if the file locations haven't been overwritten, so you'll need to be quick.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #5

Koala hit it right on the money contrary to HP. It is possible just difficult and time consuming
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuilding a RAID 1 array on the P4P800 Deluxe
About a month ago I posted here on tech support forums regarding some problems I was having with setting up a RAID 1 array on the P4P800. The thread can be found at https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=13226. Everything was working out fine until last week. The master hard drive in...
Bitsys Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 4 11-04-2008 01:24 AM
[SOLVED] HELP!! My hard drive is making clicking noises!
:4-book: Hi, I recently bought a Tablet PC for college with 50 GB. Quickly I have filled up all 50 GB with pictures, documents, music and the like. So I bought a SATA 320 GB hard drive from seagate with an external case and transferred over data from my laptop to the hard drive. Then I...
c2d Hard Drive Support 8 04-29-2007 11:49 AM
I'm a first time Hard Drive Installer, help :(
What I have: Primary hard drive C, WinXP home edition (Seagate ultra ATA 160gb) Second drive F is storage \ slave (unknown 80gb) What I want to do: 1. Replace my second drive F with a new Seagate ultra ATA 300gb, then throw away the old one. This will act as a storage drive \...
StationPayne Hard Drive Support 4 08-28-2006 05:31 PM
Hard drive Won't Format! And Operating System Won't Start! Pls HELP!
Okay so here goes... I was getting frustrated with adware,spyware and viruses, I mean really frustrated they corrupted my computer and made using internet explorer a pain in the @$#. So after deleting the corrupted programs and files from my computer I decided "Why not go all the way and delete the...
Dom007 Windows XP Support 1 12-16-2005 07:07 AM
problems with sata+ide setup, winxp asus p4p800
okay, I hope you can help me out, I don't consider myself a computer newbie at all, but I'm totally lost now. up to just last nite, I had a nice working system as follows: p4p800 asus board 2gig ram 2 80gig ide WD drives workng as master/slave. I used one for running windows and the other...
oko Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 8 01-12-2005 12:16 PM