Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Can I install Windows 7 on a hard drive which used to be an external hard drive?

This is a discussion on Can I install Windows 7 on a hard drive which used to be an external hard drive? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have a hard drive which I used to use as an external hard drive. It went through a

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I have a hard drive which I used to use as an external hard drive. It went through a lot. It's enclosure/casing is now broken and it got accidentally formatted. It still works perfectly, though. It didn't get damaged or anything like that. It's now inside the computer case. I plug it into the motherboard manually with some blue cables, that's how I use it. I put movies and other large-sized files in it.

I also have my computer's original hard drive. The OS and basically everything is installed on it. It's pretty old and I just know it's about to die on me and lose me all my data. So I was wondering if I could install Windows 7 on this better and less used hard drive which was originally an external hard drive. It's model is WD15EARS.

Would that work? Would it give me some weird errors in the Windows 7 setup, saying stuff like "This disk is blah blah blah, Windows cannot be installed on blah blah blah..." (I hate those errors. Can never get around them.)

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to hard drives. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Nope. It's a normal hard drive and you can install Windows on it.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Forgive me but I don't understand your answer. Do you mean "if it's a normal hard drive..."? What did you say "Nope" to? To the "Can I install?" question or to the "Would it give an error?"

If it's the latter, why can't Windows be installed on an external hard drive? Are they configured differently from a hard drive for computers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Nope as in you will not get any errors and It's a normal hard drive means just that the drive you have is a normal hard drive and Windows will see it as such.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by miba54 View Post
Forgive me but I don't understand your answer. Do you mean "if it's a normal hard drive..."? What did you say "Nope" to? To the "Can I install?" question or to the "Would it give an error?"

If it's the latter, why can't Windows be installed on an external hard drive? Are they configured differently from a hard drive for computers?
I could have made that clearer. I wrote the word "nope" as I was still reading your original post. Wrench is correct that I was referring to not getting any errors.

The reason Windows cannot be installed on an external drive is because it could be disconnected without warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
Nope as in you will not get any errors and It's a normal hard drive means just that the drive you have is a normal hard drive and Windows will see it as such.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

OK, thanks for your help.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

I know I kinda ended the thread by saying thanks and all but it turns out I need more help.

How would I go about doing this? Do I unplug my original hard drive, keep the new hard drive plugged in and then boot the computer with a Windows 7 install DVD? Would that work?

Also, after the installation, I want to keep using my original hard drive like a secondary drive to put large-sized files in it. How would I go about doing this? I'm worried that could be tricky because there will be an OS installed in it.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:

How would I go about doing this? Do I unplug my original hard drive, keep the new hard drive plugged in and then boot the computer with a Windows 7 install DVD? Would that work?
Yes, that will work.

Quote:

Also, after the installation, I want to keep using my original hard drive like a secondary drive to put large-sized files in it. How would I go about doing this? I'm worried that could be tricky because there will be an OS installed in it.
Simply format it ... like you would a USB flash disk. If it has more than one partition and you only want one, use Windows Disk Management to delete the partitions, then create a single partition, then format the new partition.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Simply format it
You are absolutely right but here is the thing. There are some files I want to keep on the original hard drive. If I plug the original hard drive after the installation without formatting it, would there be a problem with the computer or with booting?

I can't backup the files I want to keep on a third hard drive because I don't have one. Is what I want to do possible?

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Power down, disconnect old hard drive, then connect new hard drive in old hard drive's place.

Power up and install Windows on the new hard drive.

Power down, connect old hard drive ... leaving new hard drive alone.

Power up, drag and drop file you want from old hard drive over to new.

When done, format old hard drive for storage drive.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thank you so so much. You have been a great help.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

You're more than welcome.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
You're more than welcome.
OK, I have now installed W7 on the new drive and am using the old drive as a secondary drive. Everything went smoothly, no problem there.

However, I have one last question and then I promise I'll be out of your hair. Since the old drive is, well, old, I don't want it to be always running in the background. It is on its last legs and I'm afraid if it stays on all the time, it will die very shortly. Is there a way to turn it off or have it be inactive, and have it turn on whenever I click on the Local Disk (E:) icon? Just like an external hard drive. You know how external hard drives go into sleep mode after not being accessed for some time? I want to do the same thing with my old drive. Is that possible?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

I use these: StarTech.com 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drive - Internal SATA Backplane Enclosure - $18.19 (USD)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

So there isn't a software solution to have it go into sleep mode? Through Disk Management or a third party software or with some advanced tricks?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #16
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

The only one I know of is to set Windows Power Options > Advanced to power the hard drives down after a certain amount of inactivity.

You could also setup an On/Off switch. Just make absolutely sure the drive has finished writing before flipping the switch off. That'd be a real fast way to scramble your data.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
Registered Member

OK, thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

No problem.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Actually I would not worry about it. What kills a hard drive is booting into Windows so as long as the old drive does not have to do that any more, it can virtually live forever.
But if you are that worried about it, drives are so inexpensive these days why not spend $45-50 and get a new one to use for backup and you can copy off the files you need and then throw the old one away.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread