Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

C Drive continuously at 100% - F drive disappeared

This is a discussion on C Drive continuously at 100% - F drive disappeared within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. About a two weeks ago, I noticed that my computer was seriously bogged down... tried the usual tricks - Defrag,

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

About a two weeks ago, I noticed that my computer was seriously bogged down... tried the usual tricks - Defrag, run anti-virus/malware, clean cache, ect. ect. and it only helped a little. Then one of the drives started clicking/whiring a little more than usual when running applications, so when I looked into the performance, I notice my C drive was running at 100% continuously and my F drive (back/media drive) was gone!

Rebooted and the F drive was back and all seemed okay for about another week.

That is, until I opened itunes and tried to convert a CD to a digital file today and then all hell broke loose... the clicking and whirring sound of one of the drives is now constant, everything was moving at the pace of a snail, The C drive jumped back to 100%, and the F drive disappeared right before my eyes again. I have rebooted several times, and the F drive has never returned and the clicking and mechanical whiring sounds of one of those hard drives just keep on going.

erm... help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
one of the drives started clicking/whiring a little....the clicking and whirring sound of one of the drives is now constant....the F drive has never returned and the clicking and mechanical whiring sounds of one of those hard drives just keep on going.
Any drive that makes a clicking or whirring sound is failing or has failed.
If you have two separate HDD's for C: and F: then the F: drive has failed and it is slowing the whole computer down making the C: drive work that much harder.
Press the Win Key+X and choose Disk Management. In the Lower Pane, Is the F: drive showing? does it say it is Unallocated Space or in the Disk # does it say, it is Not Initialized and RAW?
Open the side of the desktop case up, and unplug the F: drive. If the computer suddenly works a lot better, then you need to replace the F: drive
Old 12-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Any drive that makes a clicking or whirring sound is failing or has failed.
If you have two separate HDD's for C: and F: then the F: drive has failed and it is slowing the whole computer down making the C: drive work that much harder.
Press the Win Key+X and choose Disk Management. In the Lower Pane, Is the F: drive showing? does it say it is Unallocated Space or in the Disk # does it say, it is Not Initialized and RAW?
Open the side of the desktop case up, and unplug the F: drive. If the computer suddenly works a lot better, then you need to replace the F: drive
Well, since I posted this I did another couple of reboots, and the last reboot had everything pulling up and being silent as a whisper now, even the F drive has reappeared. With that being the case, under Disk Management in the lower pane, I can see the F Drive and is says it's online, status healthy and in the list above it, with 213.75 GB of free space out of 931.51

However, I am certain this is just the clam before the storm, I am still getting the C drive clocking in at 100% continuously still - I am not hearing the drives clicking... at least not right now, system is very quite. However, I have been trying since this all started, to back everything up to an external drive with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can make an Image file of the F: drive, and then try to recover your files from the Image rather then the failing drive using various recovery tools. Like the free TestDisk, I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
Once you have created an Image of drive F:, Unplug it from the computer, as suggested.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You can make an Image file of the F: drive, and then try to recover your files from the Image rather then the failing drive using various recovery tools. Like the free TestDisk, I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
Once you have created an Image of drive F:, Unplug it from the computer, as suggested.
Sorry for the long delay on this - it was a bit of a chore, but I was successful in getting a mirrored back up of both my F and C drive (just in case) on my external E drive.

Oddly enough, in this process of rebooting and trying to get my F drive to show so I could back it up, everything went right back to normal. No noise, no clicking and whirring and all my drives are showing... this is when I was able to back everything up successfully. Regardless, I unplugged the F drive after back up, rebooted and everything was still fine. The only thing I noticed now with the F drive unplugged, was that when I open any program, (with only one program running) be it a game, iTunes, a browser ect. - my C drive rockets up to 100% and holds there, even with nearly all background apps closed/asleep. No clicking and whirring mind you, but still... even with F unplugged, the C drive immediately goes to 100% no matter what is happening and peaks out. If I let it go for 10-15 minutes, it drops down to about 45-50%, but the moment I interact with any program/app that I opened previously, it shoots back up again and the system starts getting bogged down and dragging.

With this in mind, I plugged the F drive back in, rebooted, and there has been no clicking and whirring, yet the symptoms of the C drive remain unchanged from when the F drive was unplugged.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try running a Clean Boot. If this works, you can leave it this way, or you can add one Startup item or Service until the C: drive goes to 100%, then you will know what the problematic program is.
As far as clicking, as soon as you hear that again, unplug the F: drive. If it continues, then it is your C: drive that is failing and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

We could also have a look at S.M.A.R.T stats for both disks as reported by CrystalDiskInfo. You could post a screenshot for each disk or copy the data to a text file and attach it here.
Closed Thread