Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD now windows won't boot, HD failed test

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 · (Edited)
Pc has been funny for a few weeks. Today I loaded it, went on facebook for a bit and then firefox closed unexpectedly. Spybot reported a task manager disable which I denied. Then I got a blue screen of death. I didn't have time to read it all as it restarted quickly. It at least said windows is restarting to prevent damage to your computer.
When it restarted, the hp boot screen came up, then it went to a dos looking screen with just a single blinking cursor/underscore like normal, but then it just got stuck there. I let it sit for about 15 minutes as this has happened before where this screen takes a good while, but windows still wouldn't load.
I finally ctrl alt del to restart and try safe mode and system recovery but neither worked. Diagnostic did work and it said the HD failed with a biohd-8 error. In the setup menu it said it failed the read element.
I'd love to save the pc with a new HD if possible, but my main concern is salvaging the files on the HD. Given this info, would it work to go purchase a USB to hard drive cable just so I could at least back up some stuff? I've also read up on some boot software that let's you browse an external HD or USB drive and the failing drive and transfer files between them.
Any info whatsoever would be great thanks!

EDIT
I forgot to mention that the hard drive isn't making any weird or loud noises. Everything SOUNDS normal but windows won't boot and the HD fails it's self test.

See less See more
#2 ·
What make model is the PC and Hard Drive what is the size of the drive and type of interface IDE or SATA ? We really need these very basic specs to help you. Once you get a new drive installed and re-load the OS we can then take a look at the bad drive and see if any recovery is possible. I prefer to use the computers sata ports and not an external USB case. Diagnostics don't work well over USB.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Yeah the hdd shows up in the bios where I can run a couple of tests and check it's SMART property. In the boot menu I can select both the hard drive and the DVD drive. I couldn't find a download from that second link you posted. It just took me to the main downloads page and when I followed through to my hdd model it gave me file you originally linked. The capacity in the bios is listed as 1000gb and on disk in windows I remember it showing 950+-

#8 ·
The WD error code you reported is indicates the drive has failed. Trying a few more things moving forward. WD Support / Knowledge Base / Diagnostic Error Codes

1. What diagnostic were you able to run that gave you the error in your initial post ?

2. Its possible you picked up a boot sector virus but you say the "disk tests fail" which is why I wanted to run the WD tool to get a 2nd opinion. The WD test agrees the drive has failed just so you know.

3. Can you take the drive and connect it to another computer to run a full virus scan on it ? We can also see if the other computer can even access the drive as a 2nd option to rule out a motherboard disk controller failure.

#9 ·
In the bios I can run two tests one is called short or quick the other is just a longer one. They both say the drive failed the test at the read element. The other test is from the hp boot screen where I can access the boot menu, setup(bios), system restore, and an hp diagnostic scan. That scan gives me the error code from above. I've been working from an iPad and there's a laptop in our house too I'm not sure if I could scan the hard drive unless I bought a USB adapter for the laptop but that wouldn't be a problem.

#10 ·
Understood its a long shot at this point in time as we have 3 diagnostic tools telling us the drive has failed. Its your call to get an adapter and running hdd diags across usb is not great and speed is much slower. Maybe a new drive in the desktop and reload OS then we could try the drive on one of the other sata ports which you will need another sata power adapter and data cable to connect it to the mobo. If data is important you may want to send off to pro recovery for a quote and diagnosis.

#12 ·
So after checking out some quotes, I drastically can't afford it. Through a small miracle the one file I really needed had been backed up to my website. So now I'm looking at buying a new hard drive. I only had a recovery partition and no install disk. Any tips on how to install the new hdd and get windows on it? Any legit/legal ways of using my pc's license or the copy of vista on my laptop? Should I keep asking here or take my questions to a different thread? Thanks again!

#13 ·
You need a windows disk and the key that is already on your laptop. HP's have them on all of their models. You can get the drivers off HP site. You can also get HP to send you disks you may have to pay a small fee but they normally can help if its not like 5years old. I am guessing their is another forum that has more to do with this topic I just hang out here! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.