Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Hard Drive?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  christopher2405 
#1 ·
I was having problems booting into Windows today, to the extent that I couldn't even boot into the Windows Recovery Environment. I decided to boot into an Ubuntu Live CD that I had, with the view to transferring all of my files to an external hard drive and then reinstalling Windows.

I got into the Ubuntu environment fine, but it wouldn't mount my Windows drives (there's a Dell Recovery partition, a Windows Recovery partition and the OS partition), giving me the error:
Code:
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.
whenever I tried. I tried this a few times, including after reboots.

Since there seemed to be some sort of hardware problem, I ran the Dell Pre-Boot Diagnostics test (which I assume is built into the BIOS ROM chip, as this ran fine). All of the tests passed, except for one which gave the error:
Code:
Error code 0142
Msg: Error code 2000-0142
Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test unsuccessful. Status: 79.
The given error code and message can be used by technical support to help diagnose the problem.
I then rang Dell, who told me that error code means the hard drive needs to be replaced. For a like-for-like replacement, with an engineer coming out the next working day to replace the hard drive and reinstall the OS and driver, it will cost £173.59.

My question is, are Dell being completely honest with me, or is the hard drive salvageable? The cost isn't really a problem to me, as the laptop is insured, and there isn't any irreplaceable data on there.

Thanks.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.