Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Brand new seagate barracuda 2tb not spinning or powering on not detected in bios

This is a discussion on Brand new seagate barracuda 2tb not spinning or powering on not detected in bios within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Built my new pc yesterday installed windows onto the SSD and then switched off and plugged in the HDD one

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Built my new pc yesterday installed windows onto the SSD and then switched off and plugged in the HDD one sata cable in the PSU and one into the mobo, the hdd doesnt spin make any noise or show up in bios ive tried different cables and power cables and other sata ports on th mobo.
My mobo is b350 pc mate
Psu is evga 650 gold
Do i have a dead drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Welcome to TSF!
Sounds like a dead unit to me. It should spin up as soon as it gets a power supply, with/without a mobo connection. It's best to return it and get a refund or replacement.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Could this be your problem?

PSA: Mixing Modular PSU Cables Can Kill Components:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...les-dont-do-it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
plugged in the HDD one sata cable in the PSU and one into the mobo,
This statement is a little unclear to me. There should be a SATA power plug from the PSU that you are plugging into the back of the HDD, Then you would have a SATA Data cable plugged into the back of the HDD and then go to the Motherboard to one of the SATA ports.
If that is true, then boot into Setup (Bios) go to SATA Ports, make sure the SATA port on the motherboard the drive is plugged into is Enabled in the Bios. Also, try a different Power Plug from the PSU and a different SATA Data cable. Try a different SATA port on the Mobo.
Take the drive out of the computer and attach it to a known working desktop computer internally, or via a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. Hook the power up and listen to the drive and make sure it is spinning. If not, it may have failed.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I stopped using Seagate hard drives a few years ago as so many didn't work new out of the box. I certainly believe the drive is bad.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread