Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Boot hangs on SATA install A7N8X-E [argh!]

This is a discussion on Boot hangs on SATA install A7N8X-E [argh!] within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I apologise in advance if I sound blunt but so far my weekend has consisted of BSODs and

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #1

Angry

Hi all,

I apologise in advance if I sound blunt but so far my weekend has consisted of BSODs and restart loops. Whooo! I have been reading around the issue I am currently having and would first like to state what it is not.

1. I am not trying to install XP on a new SATA drive, and this most probably excludes the whole F6 solution wand floppy disks which tend to populate most of the forum discussions.
2. I am not trying to initiate a RAID setup.

I am however, just trying to simply install a new SATA HD on my comp for more storage.

Drive to be installed: Maxtor Diamond Max 10 200Gb
Mobo: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Mobo BIOS version: 1013
SATA BIOS version: 4.2.27
OS:freshly repaired [to solve aforementioned weekend's problems] XP SP2. Current HD: Maxtor IDE 120Gb

I have two optical drives on the secondary IDE channel and the current HD as master and a third optical as slave on the primary IDE channel.

My problem is that if I try to connect the SATA drive to motherboard the SATA RAID/BIOS thing will recognise that it is there on either 0 or 1. However, as soon as windows starts to boot ie after its checked floppy and CD-ROM for discs, i just get a black screen instead of the windows loading screen and it hangs there forever.

I have installed the latest Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller Drivers dated 12/01/2006 ver. 1.0.56.0 and recently flashed my BIOS but to no avail. Yet as soon as I unplug the drive Windows will boot fine again. I really really dont understand. Everyone else seems to at least get into windows...

Any help, ladies and gents, would be much obliged.

Cheers

Andy

[PS there is also a copy of this thread in the ASUS forum as I am unsure whether it is a Motherboard or HD problem]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Andy:

it sounds as though you have installed and activated the Raid Controller

whereas you should be activating and installing just the Sata Controller

Disable the raid controller in the bios and see what happens then ????
Old 02-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

sounds to me like that board only has a IDE controller and a Raid Controller which can use Sata drives ????? but that mayyyyyyy not mean the Sata drives will act and perform like an IDE controlled drive ?????? is there an IDE mode that can be selected for your Raid Controller >>>>> if so try it ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #4

cheers for the fast response

I've had a ganders round the BIOS on my mobo previously and there isn't anything specifically RAID related.

After I flashed it from 1011 to 1013 it gave me an option for something between SCSI and RAID - cant remember what I'll do a reboot in a mo and get the details.

The only way I can think to disable the RAID controller would be to switch the jumper on the mobo however I'm pretty sure that that just knocks out SATA all together.

In device manager the aforementioned controller drivers do come under SCSI and RAID Contollers however isnt SATA classed as SCSI a lot of the time anyway? If it is the case that I need to install the SATA controllers I'm so swimming in drivers and goodness knows what I'm not sure whats what...

We shall see
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #5

entering the RAID setup only allows me to create RAID Set, Delete RAID Set, Rebuild RAID Set, Resolve conflicts and do a low level format
Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #6

Okay

In the BIOS the only mention to RAID is under Advanced BIOS Features. That feature being 'RAID or SCSI Card Boot' and it is currently set to SCSI card.

Quoting my motherboard manual what I actually have is a

"Silicon Image Sil 3112A chipset and two Serial ATA interfaces to support redundant array of independant disks [RAID] configuration. This feature supports Serial ATA Hard Disks. Use the SATARaid utility to configure the RAID sets."

any ideas?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts. Some of the older Asus boards, used the terms "Onboard Promise Controller" in place of the Raid name. Might want to check that and Disable it if it is enabled. Also, some of the Asus boards that I have had, so not have the software for that, but instead use a jumper to enable or disable raid. Might want to take a look in that schematic in the manual. The last one I used like that had the jumper Enabled as it came from the factory, so check that area, because I am not sure about this board.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #8

I've checked the board and the jumper is set to the left as default for enable which is why [I presume] I get a SATARaid thingy pop up after the post screen and just before the boot.

Re: Promise controller, I've heard stuff about this but again there is no mention of it in the manual or in the BIOS.

eeek!
Old 02-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

I guess I misunderstood what you wanted. I thought you did not want a Raid thing, so if you don't, then you would have to Disable that jumper and set to the right for Disable. I had a similar board and it kept coming up until I moved that jumper, then away it went and loaded fine. (that has been a few moons ago, not in the past couple of years).
Old 02-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #10

Sorry my bad,

Basically I want to install this SATA drive but i cant because whenever I plug it in Windows hangs on boot.

The only way I can boot with the the SATA drive hooked up is with the jumper on the mobo [which is probably 2003ish] set to disable the SATA Contollers, of course if I do that I cant do anything with the SATA drive.

Any ideas?

PS accidentaly swapped the wrong jumper on the last reboot resulting in resetting system clock... doh!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Tumble I believe has the solution to this problem; I am rather confident you will need to disable the raid function if you are to have any chance whatsoever of getting the sata drive to act without raid functions !

But for some reason I get the impression that your board does not have "standalone" Sata support but rather a raid controller which can make use of Sata drives ???????

A last ditch note; you could always add a Promise Sata controller card to one of your PCI slots >>>> they are very easy to install and configure and are fairly cheap at around $40.00 ???? they have their own independant bios too !!
https://techsupportforum.pricegrabber...CI+controller+

****addendum**** yes it is very common for the device manager to describe the Sata or Raid Controller as a SCSI controller >>>>> motherboards used to want to call anything that wasnt an IDE controller a SCSI controller
Old 02-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

what is the boot order set to in your bios ??????
Old 02-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #13

@Linderman

effectively what you're saying is that if I ever wanted to install SATA drives on this motherboard I would have to install TWO drives and HAVE to have them in RAID?

ie RAID with SATA but no SATA without RAID? Surely this cant be right? This would also rule out having two SATA drives in no RAID configuration for just storage as well....
Old 02-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #14

boot order is

1. Floppy
2. CD-ROM
2. HHD-O
Old 02-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Are you sure you have the Sata drives enabled in your BIOS setup menu?
Some have a separate area that you have to enable Sata. Just check this issue to make sure.

That boot order is so important as linderman mentioned.

If all else fails, then download (or if retail, it came with your drive) the Maxblast4 utility and see if it will recognize and prepare the Sata for usage. That utility is free and does a nice job.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #16

Guys

Maxblast is installed on my PC but can only recognise my Windows IDE drive.

However, in previous boots I would never be able to recognise it because it wouldnt be plugged in. Windows wont let me boot when the SATA drive is plugged into the motherboard. It just hangs with a black screen where the windows loading screen should be.

...However, that was until just now. On my last post I managed to boot into windows with the SATA drive plugged in but only because the jumper on the motherboard [which controls the SATA interfaces] was disabled. Yet I have just done another reboot and low and behold after swapping the jumper back and expecting another hang with the SATA drive still plugged in, windows did in fact boot.

Why is it when these things are supposed to be built on logic that they are so irrational?

However, still no sign of a SATA HD either in MaxBlast or in Device Manager or in My Computer.

Hmmmm
Old 02-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

just a thought ????? did you install the motherboard chipset drivers ??????

I was helping a friend trouble shoot his machine last week >>>> he installed the OS but never installed the chipset drivers (inf drivers) the system ran well>>> but would not detect and use the sata controller >>>>> but once the chipset drivers were installed it took right off with the sata drive ????

motherboard drivers are on the mobo CD ????
Old 02-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #18

I'm pretty sure the chipset drivers are installed since the drive registers with the SATARaid facility when i boot up when it is plugged in.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #19

Hi,

I am having a very similar problem with a PCI SATA addon card. The system boots fine with the card plugged in and it is recognised by the OS (Fedora Core 4). When I attach a SATA drive, the system POSTs and then says "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT". It then reboots and the same thing happens. When I disconnect the drive, the sytem boots normally.

I have updated the BIOS from 4.2.70 (raid) to 4.2.76 (non-raid) and then to 4.2.76 (raid). The results are very similar, the 4.2.70 BIOS just hangs with a flashing cursor and the 4.2.76 BIOSes display the "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT" message.

I have also updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

if your Sata drive is formatted with NTFS; is Fedora complaint with NTFS
Closed Thread